Newbie Pathfinder Owner From Washington State

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

jblrjr

Newbie Pathfinder Owner From Washington State

Postby jblrjr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Hello to all my new friends here at The Nissan Path forum.
I bought my 1992 Pathfinder with 224,000 miles on her and an automatic transmission that wouldn't shift into higher gears without revving the engine up then letting off the gas. The engine seemed to run very well and was not smoking or using oil as I drove it about 500 miles before beginning work on it. The code reader indicated the "B" shift solenoid was at fault. So, I bought a solenoid pak which has 4 solenoids in it and hired an out-of-work mechanic to replace them for me. Bad mistake. He found that the springs located above the "B" shift solenoid were broken. He advised me to replace the tranny. So, I bought a whole 1992 Pathfinder, that ran but had a salvaged title, for $300.00 and removed the tranny from it. I delivered the "new" tranny to the mechanic who then took about 3 weeks to install it. When he initially tried to start the engine, it was stuck. He tried several times, then finally hooked up a large booster to the battery. When the engine finally turned over all the water from the engine gushed out from between the tranny bell housing. He then called me and said he just didn't have time to work on it any more. I retrieved the vehicle and began the process of removing the engine myself. What I found was a 9/16" socket stuck to one of the flywheel/torque converter bolts and a 1" by 1" chunk of the block laying in the bottom of the bell housing. Crap. I really couldn't ask this guy to pay for his screw up as he has no job, no money and is a family man.
I removed the engine from my "spare" Pathfinder and installed it with all the injectors, intake manifold and all accessories the were on my original Pathfinder. Starts right up and idles great but sucks under power. I acts like it misfires when under a heavy load. If I accelerate slowly, all seems well. If I try to accelerate quickly or try to climb a hill, it runs terribly.
What have I tried? Injector cleaner, timing the ignition, leak checked the whole vacuum system and intake maniflod, new plugs, rotor and cap.
I really like the looks of the Pathfinder. It has blacked out wheels which really enhances its looks. If anyone can suggest a few remedies I would really appreciate it.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”