Wtf sound is this.....

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:39 am

NYPathfinder wrote:It only happens at 75-80mph. There wasn't much wind when I recorded it just the window cracked open. Happened today again and its extremely windy. I checked all the plastics and under the hood to make sure everything is tight. Didn't notice anything. From the sound of it its coming from the passenger side
This may sound stupid, but how long have you had this noise? When was the last time you changed your cabin filters? The reason I ask is that I've heard a noise just like yours, when one of my filters wasn't seated just right & ended up flapping (blowing on a blade of grass/plastic noise).

It could very well be one of the door seals as well. When the wind & my angle of approach is just right, my driver's door seal will squeel like a bitch. If I pinch the top of the door to the doorsill with my hand, the noise goes away. You should have someone ride with you at that speed, obviously in the passenger seat, and see if they can at least pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 am

UncleRico wrote:Sounds to me like the sound is isolated to the cabin area, it seems too loud and clear to be coming from the engine bay or suspension or anywhere outside. I would start with checking all of the air vent doors, make sure the ones that should be closed are FULLY closed and the ones that should be open are not just partially open. If you have a vent door slightly cracked open the air pressure at 75-80 mph could cause a whistle like that - kind of sounds like blowing on a blade of grass. Do you think you may have dropped something down the defroster slot when cleaning the dash?

Hope you find it, that would drive anyone crazy...
How should i go about doing this? i was driving last nite and toggled between the setting that lets the fresh air in and the one that reuses the air in the cabin. didnt make a difference.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:26 am

NVSteve wrote:
NYPathfinder wrote:It only happens at 75-80mph. There wasn't much wind when I recorded it just the window cracked open. Happened today again and its extremely windy. I checked all the plastics and under the hood to make sure everything is tight. Didn't notice anything. From the sound of it its coming from the passenger side
This may sound stupid, but how long have you had this noise? When was the last time you changed your cabin filters? The reason I ask is that I've heard a noise just like yours, when one of my filters wasn't seated just right & ended up flapping (blowing on a blade of grass/plastic noise).

It could very well be one of the door seals as well. When the wind & my angle of approach is just right, my driver's door seal will squeel like a bitch. If I pinch the top of the door to the doorsill with my hand, the noise goes away. You should have someone ride with you at that speed, obviously in the passenger seat, and see if they can at least pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.
I just bought the truck last month and havent changed the cabin filters yet. I was gonna pull apart that side of the dash board saturday when im off from work and have the time. I can also check the cabin filters at the same time. I have one of my friends thats im gonna bring with me to start checking things at 75-80mph.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

NYPathfinder wrote: I just bought the truck last month and havent changed the cabin filters yet. I was gonna pull apart that side of the dash board saturday when im off from work and have the time. I can also check the cabin filters at the same time. I have one of my friends thats im gonna bring with me to start checking things at 75-80mph.
Yeah, all you really need to do is pull out the filters & then put them back in. Absolutely horrible design-you'll understand once you get to it. The filters are squishy, so putting them in quite fun. It's easy enough to check, even if it might be a longshot that it might be the cause of the noise.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 pm

I would check your cabin air filters as mentioned above. I had another silly idea but have you checked the area at the base of the windshield near the cabin air intake. Not sure if you have parked anywhere with leafs but sometimes they get sucked into the air intake. Just a thought.

UncleRico

Postby UncleRico » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:36 pm

How should i go about doing this? i was driving last nite and toggled between the setting that lets the fresh air in and the one that reuses the air in the cabin. didnt make a difference.
Ya, that's the tricky part. Maybe start by getting your head under the dash with a flashlight and inspection mirror and have someone toggle all the settings. When you find each vent door, have your friend close everything and see if you can get a finger on each one of the door arms (the door will be inside the duct) and try to push them closed.
If this doesn't work, try it in the dark with your head underneath and your friend with a bright flashlight. Have him/her shine the light down each vent opening, again toggling the settings, and see if there is any light leaking out of a duct beyond the closed vent door. Easy right??? :roll:

I think all of the suggestions you've gotten so far are very real possibilities, it makes sense to try everything until the problem is found. Whatever you do, stay away from the stealership, you don't want to pay their hourly rate to find this thing.

Good luck...

Kidd_Funkadelic

Postby Kidd_Funkadelic » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 am

I have the same problem! It only happens around 80 MPH. The first time it happened I was doing 70-75 but there was a strong headwind. It comes from the passenger side and is definitely related to wind speed- on the windy day at a constant speed it would happen only when you could see/feel a gust.

Changing the climate controls settings (outside/recirc, fan speed, etc) all made no difference.

It's loud and very annoying. Thankfully it's just barely above the speed I typically drive, so I haven't been too bothered yet, but if I'm in a rush it comes on back.

If you figure it out I want to know what it is!!!!!

FYI, I have an '05 LE, bought in May. Has 113k miles. I have not looked at the cabin filter, though that sounds like a reasonable culprit.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 pm

From what i can tell the vents are closing as they should. Boy was that a pain. I checked all the moldings around the windshield. popped the hood checked to make sure everything was tight on that side. The one thing i didnt do which completely slipped my mind was check the cabin filter. I will check that within the next day or two hopefully.

Kidd_Funkadelic

Postby Kidd_Funkadelic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 am

Any updates on this? I would LOVE to get rid of this sound. It doesn't happen all the time, but on the right day it keeps on coming and is really loud...

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Im gonna double check the molding around the windshield again once it stops raining. I was waxing the truck yesterday and noticed the molding that runs along the bottom corner of the windshield easily lifts up. there were leaves stuck in there and some other crap. Ill let you know what i find out.

pathology

wipers

Postby pathology » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 am

I had an extremely similar noise on a Subaru, it was some crappy replacement wiper blades I had used, vibrating on the windshield.

Kidd_Funkadelic

Re: wipers

Postby Kidd_Funkadelic » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:42 am

pathology wrote:I had an extremely similar noise on a Subaru, it was some crappy replacement wiper blades I had used, vibrating on the windshield.
The thing is it's really loud, like it's inside the cabin. Plus, I thought of that and tried hitting the wiper when it was happening and didn't do anything. Thanks for the input though!

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 am

I actually had that same noise on my 2001 Pathy. Only at higher speeds or on a windy day on the highway. I do not get it on my 2005. I had a wind screen on the front of the sunroof of the 2001 and not on the 2005 and I'm fairly sure that's where it was coming from. I think air was slipping under the weatherstripping on the air dam in front of the sunroof. If you've got one of those, I'm fairly positive that's your culprit.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 am

I don't have either of them on my 07. I took the sunroof deflector off once I got the truck

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Hmm, well my only other thought is to check the crossbars on the luggage rack. Maybe that's vibrating at a certain frequency.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”