New England

Life on the road is what automobiles were made for, share your road trip stories and pictures here.

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

New England

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:52 am

Since I still had vacation time, I decided to take off for a week and fly into New York the 2nd week of October. I'd always wanted to see the fall colors, and I hit it right in time. I was told that the colors changed later this year, so I lucked out. This was also during that time of the massive storm moving across the US, but I lucked out again by completely avoiding any sort of bad weather. It hit like mad the night before I flew back to Salt Lake, but I didn't care at that point.

Anyway, I ended up going all over the place in New York, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont. I avoided all cities and just stayed more in the countryside. It was very overcast, which makes good photos very hard to come by, so most of the shots with a white sky ended up having the sky overblown. Since I didn't have a tripod with me, I couldn't take multiple exposures and run them through HDR software, which was definitely a mistake I won't make again. All pics taken with an Olympus E-500 with a 28mm-108mm lens (35mm equivalent). Here are a few pics:

Waitsfield Village, Vermont:

Taughanna Falls State Park, NY, just north of Ithaca:

One of the many Adirondack trailheads, NY:

Marathon, NY:

Lake Placid, NY:

Lake George, NY:

Fort Ticonderoga, NY:

New Hampshire countryside:

Franconia Notch State Park, NH:

Franconia Notch State Park, NH:

Salem, Mass:

Minute Man National Historic Site, Mass:

York Beach, Maine:

Rumford, Maine:

Artist Bridge, Maine:

Artist Bridge, Maine:

Last edited by NVSteve on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:00 pm

very nice.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:09 am

Nice pics. Could you put in some desc in with the pics like where they were taken. Also what kind of camera did you use. The pic of the cemetery looked very vivid of the red leaves. One more thing, the picture of the indian statue thingy, looks like a fisher that got stabbed in the head.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:30 am

boogyman wrote:Nice pics. Could you put in some desc in with the pics like where they were taken. Also what kind of camera did you use. The pic of the cemetery looked very vivid of the red leaves. One more thing, the picture of the indian statue thingy, looks like a fisher that got stabbed in the head.
Changes made, per your request. The cemetery shot was taken pretty close to sunset. I typically shoot mornings and evenings for the great colors, contrast & shadows, but it's kind of hard to follow that when on a trip somewhere. I just kept my eyes open for just the right lighting conditions, pulled over & took the shot.

That statue thing was a bit odd. There was also a big statue of Paul Bunyan, along with a bunch of other metal sculptures.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:15 am

Thanks for the updates. I'm from Maine and there are Paul Bunyan statues in a few places up there. In my home town, we have a 50' indian. I haven't been back for a few years. Got married and had a little guy, time flies by.

Ben H Aussie

Postby Ben H Aussie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:07 am

Hi NVSteve,
Its great to see images from other parts of the world, I had some friends from Olympus U.S and they had some great shots from over there, I would love to one day get over there and spend a few months and just photograph, the colours are stunning.
BTW what sort of gear are you shooting with? The digital era makes life so much easier to share, what did we do before life went digital.....
technology is great while it works....

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:11 pm

Ben H Aussie wrote:BTW what sort of gear are you shooting with? The digital era makes life so much easier to share, what did we do before life went digital.....
technology is great while it works....
For my travels, I've strictly been using the E-500 w/14-54. I bought the 12-60 a few weeks ago to replace the 14-54 as my travel lens, but haven't gone anywhere since I bought it. If I take a local trip (no flying involved), then I'll bring along a 50-200 as well, or the lighter 40-150. Once I finally get the E-3, I'll probably get the 70-300 lens since so many people have been raving about it. Sure wish they made it as a mid-grade with weatherproofing though.

My only 2 trips to Oz were both in 2000, and I didn't have a digital (makes me mad since I worked the Olympics for a month and got to see way more than your average spectator, but with crappy photos). So, I'm planning on returning at some point so I can finally get some good shots. But, the problem I have is that I enjoy New Zealand too much & end up spending quite a few of my vacations there.

Return to “Roaaad Trip!!!”