Fuel gauge issues

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:24 pm

My Service light just came on. I took my pathy to Pepboys and they read the code for free. Yup... P0463.

I called the dealer today to see if they will repair my 2005 Pathfinder Offroad 4WD (47k miles) for the P0463 code & Fuel sender unit. They took my VIN# and reported back that my pathy was not covered. They said the recall was for 2006 & 2008 only. They told me to call Nissan and see if they could help. 1-800-647-7261.

Nissan basically said the same thing. They opened a file on it. Then told me to take it to the Dealer and get an official diagnostic (read the error code). $45 at my dealer. Sort of ticked me off because I already know the code - P0463.

The Dealer will then call back Nissan, Nissan will send the file to their specialty agent. He/she will then call back the dealer and make several other calls. They may OR may not approve it. This may take a day or a couple of weeks to hear back.

So... I have the option to spend $85 for the part and do the work myself or take it in and spend $45 and hope that Nissan will approve the work. I refuse to pay $500 -$600 for the repair.

Nissan wanted to know if I owned any other Nissan cars(Which I do) and asked some other weird questions. I don't know if I'm jaded by this thread but it actually sounded like if I am a loyal customer and spend a lot of money at my local dealer I might have a better shot.

Currently, my P0463 code is reset, no light. If it comes back on again after the next tank fill up I will have to make a decision.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 am

mrfatboy Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Service light just came on. I took my pathy to Pepboys and they read the code for free. Yup... P0463.

I called the dealer today to see if they will repair my 2005 Pathfinder Offroad 4WD (47k miles) for the P0463 code & Fuel sender unit. They took my VIN# and reported back that my pathy was not covered. They said the recall was for 2006 & 2008 only. They told me to call Nissan and see if they could help. 1-800-647-7261.

Nissan basically said the same thing. They opened a file on it. Then told me to take it to the Dealer and get an official diagnostic (read the error code). $45 at my dealer. Sort of ticked me off because I already know the code - P0463.

The Dealer will then call back Nissan, Nissan will send the file to their specialty agent. He/she will then call back the dealer and make several other calls. They may OR may not approve it. This may take a day or a couple of weeks to hear back.

So... I have the option to spend $85 for the part and do the work myself or take it in and spend $45 and hope that Nissan will approve the work. I refuse to pay $500 -$600 for the repair.

Nissan wanted to know if I owned any other Nissan cars(Which I do) and asked some other weird questions. I don't know if I'm jaded by this thread but it actually sounded like if I am a loyal customer and spend a lot of money at my local dealer I might have a better shot.

Currently, my P0463 code is reset, no light. If it comes back on again after the next tank fill up I will have to make a decision.
I also have an 05 and my fuel sending unit went out at about 55k miles. Same code as yours. My dealer also said the 05 models were not covered by the recall. Odd since my 05 also has the same fuel sending unit problems...

I opted to pay for the parts and replace it myself. If i let the dealer replace it I guess I would've had a chance of being reimbursed if Nissan ever decides to include the 05 models in the recall.

I was also able to reset my code but it would eventually come back and the guage never was right anymore. It's probably worth the $45 to take a chance on Nissan approving the repair. If they do, I would think they should cover the diagnostic fee. If not, it's a simple DIY job. 2-3 hours, and no special tools required.

Has anyone else replaced their fuel sending unit by themselves? I noticed that the replacement unit had much larger contacts than the original one. So it seems Nissan has made changes to their fuel sending units and hopefully my new one will last more than 50,000 miles.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:32 pm

@deermjd

Please clarify. After you replaced the FSU by yourself and cleared the code it still did not work properly? Or am I just misunderstanding you?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Before I replaced the sending unit, I reset the error code with a code reader but the check engine light eventually kept coming back.

After I replaced the unit, I did not get a check engine light or have to reset any error codes.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Ok, thanks. i just wanted to make sure. How easy was it to do by yourself? Do you have some tips or tutorial? Did you jack up the car? I have two 10" or so ramps I could use.

Where did you end up buying the FSU? How much?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:57 pm

I did jack up the rear of the car and remove the driver side rear tire. I believe it was about $120 for the sending unit and o-ring from my local dealer. You can get it for cheaper online at courtesy nissan parts.

There is a sitcky on this forum called "Service and other nissan manuals". There is a section in the service manual that I used to replace mine. It's very straightforward. Just be careful when handling the new sending unit. Also, the gas tank is much easier to handle when it's nearly empty.

techboy

Postby techboy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Just had my Sending unit replaced on my 2008 today. About a month ago, I left it running in the driveway and came back and the gauge read empty. Since then, I was having issues with the DTE going to 0 or "-----". SES light went on a few days later..

Nissan said it was covered under extended warranty just on the fuel sensor. I have 38k on my pathy.

Total would have been $290 for repair but was fully covered..

bkmtnff

Postby bkmtnff » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:41 pm

mrfatboy wrote:My Service light just came on. I took my pathy to Pepboys and they read the code for free. Yup... P0463.

I purchased the part for my 2007 at a nissan dealer, had my mechanic install it, and was reimbursed for the part when the warranty was extended.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”