You'll NEVER believe what the dealer said....(4WD related)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:58 pm

I've never had a problem with mine, but I come from those days of the manual transfer case. No such thing as push button, turn-the-knob or shift-on-the-fly 4 wheel drive. LOL. It was all about manual locking hubs, where you needed to think ahead and lock the hubs beforehand or you'd end up having to walk thru some nasty mud to lock them. It was a time when you had to come to a complete stop before engaging 4 wheel drive and even at a stop it would sometimes grind going in. It was a time of coming to a stop and having to sometimes reverse in order to disengage 4 wheel drive.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Energata wrote:#1, YOUR 4wd system isn't working either. #2 ....I think your missing the point entirely my friend....
My 4WD is working just fine... as a matter of fact I just used it today to pull my utility trailer out of a wet yard becuse my Bro had it and his 2WD Chevy got stuck. It had absolutely no problem going in and out of 4Hi on his gravel drive. And I'm right there with you NVsteve, mine has performed like this since day 1. And I'm not missing the point.... I know and understand that you are aggrevated with the dealer, but I just wanted to throw some insight your way about the 4WD systems on the Pathfinder. I just sayin' that if you had an AWD system then it would have a viscous coupling/center differential and would not bind at all on dry pavement, therefore you could operate it without any issues ON pavement....

pathology

Postby pathology » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm

My 08 does the same thing, sometimes I need to drive a ways, sometimes not. Storm 4.0, re: not disengaging on dry pavement, sometimes you leave a snowy road and hit dry pavement - it's not a choice.

I do think that the dealer's tire reasons are somewhat farcical. Whether there is something wrong, or not, I would pursue this, just to see the results. Good luck.

Peace and Love, fellow Pathfinders.

PS I talked too long, and it got dark. Now I can't see to drive home...

PPS Kidding... :D

silver x0ne

Postby silver x0ne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 pm

I've always assumed the engaging / disengaging was related to speed/rpm as well. I put my pathfinder in 4x4 at least once a month during good weather just to give it a few miles. Sometimes it will go from 4Hi to 2wd without any hesitation, sometimes I have to let off the accel and it'll immediately change. I've never have to turn the wheels to get it to change so maybe I'm crazy. In snow/ice/mud it changes about the same in my opinion but these occasions are less than I'd like :)

Energata

Postby Energata » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 am

Storm4.0 wrote:
Energata wrote:#1, YOUR 4wd system isn't working either. #2 ....I think your missing the point entirely my friend....
My 4WD is working just fine... as a matter of fact I just used it today to pull my utility trailer out of a wet yard becuse my Bro had it and his 2WD Chevy got stuck. It had absolutely no problem going in and out of 4Hi on his gravel drive. And I'm right there with you NVsteve, mine has performed like this since day 1. And I'm not missing the point.... I know and understand that you are aggrevated with the dealer, but I just wanted to throw some insight your way about the 4WD systems on the Pathfinder. I just sayin' that if you had an AWD system then it would have a viscous coupling/center differential and would not bind at all on dry pavement, therefore you could operate it without any issues ON pavement....
I hear what your saying, and maybe your 4wd system does work like that from day one. I don't think it should. I've never had a 4wd system behave like this...from ATVs to other trucks I've owned.....ever.

The other thing is, this NEVER occurred once before the tranny was replaced. I find that more than just a slight coincidence.

But....for the dealer to say what they did? It boggles my mind.

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 am

I took my PF to the dealership last week for the 12k mile oil change. They came out and said my tires were below 2/32 and they recommended new tires.
I think they need to stop pressuring their service advisors to cross-sell/up-sell.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 am

cbacarisse wrote:I took my PF to the dealership last week for the 12k mile oil change. They came out and said my tires were below 2/32 and they recommended new tires.
I think they need to stop pressuring their service advisors to cross-sell/up-sell.
are they really that worn at 12K miles?
if so, at below 2/32, they were absolutely right in recommending new tires :wink:
they would be remiss if they hadn't, as your (and your familys) safety is compromised even before that
more info here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=157

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

eieio wrote:
cbacarisse wrote:I took my PF to the dealership last week for the 12k mile oil change. They came out and said my tires were below 2/32 and they recommended new tires.
are they really that worn at 12K miles?
if so, at below 2/32, they were absolutely right in recommending new tires :wink:
they would be remiss if they hadn't, as your (and your familys) safety is compromised even before that
more info here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=157

No, they aren't worn at all. They still look brand new; That was my point. I just bought the same tires for my one of my son's trooper and for my other son's ranger. Mine look no more worn than their brand new tires.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:48 pm

i'd be incensed that they gave me a recommendation based upon a false measurement
:evil:

wfburton159

Postby wfburton159 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:11 pm

My 07 does the same thing. Sometimes it comes out right away. Other times it takes a while. And yes a turn or two sometimes. And my tires are worn about the same as yours. Its all electronic now. Chit will happen. Good luck with the dealer. They must have something goofy.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”