I by-passed my in radiator tranny cooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:17 am

no radiator issues, no tranny issues.

however, water pump blown 3 times.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:32 am

i-man wrote:2008
Well that explains why it made no sense to me, I only have experience with an 05, sorry I couldn't have been more help

i-man

Postby i-man » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:23 am

No worries man.

PC05

Tranny

Postby PC05 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Well gents, wife came home today and said something is wrong with tranny, after her stating the symptoms I knew right away what it was. The Non-recall has hit our 05 pathy, it is however under the extended warranty and called my local dealer and they said yep according to my description to bring it in and they will replace tranny and rad. I asked is the new rad a new design or just like the faulty one from the factory? He stated it was a new design and shouldnt have any issues. So will they try to do other things like a flush to see if that resolves it or go ahead and replace everything? I am skeptical.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:07 pm

If you're still under warranty then don't settle for a flush. I think the coolant will have done permanent damage to the trans even if things seem ok for now if they attempt to flush it.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm

I will definitely not settle for a flush, I shouldn't have to being that it is still under warranty, correct? I seem to have noticed something a few days ago but dismissed it as road problems but once the wife said something I knew something was wrong. Funny thing is I took it in there 2 months ago for the other recalls involving the fuel sensor, airbag sensor and ECM relay, and had them look at tranny to verify all was good with it, OF course they stated no trouble found.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Tranny

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:08 pm

PC05 wrote: I am skeptical.
can't blame ya one bit :wink:
have you verified that your transmission fluid is contaminated, or are you just going by symptoms at this point?
it's been my experience that the method of most warranty repairs are up to the responsible party, in this case Nissan
be sure to document any and all conversations, repair orders, commitments, dates & times, parts, labor, etc very carefully & thoroughly
that way, you will have all your ducks lined up in a row in the event that any repairs go awry

PC05

Postby PC05 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 pm

eieio wrote:
PC05 wrote: I am skeptical.
can't blame ya one bit :wink:
have you verified that your transmission fluid is contaminated, or are you just going by symptoms at this point?
it's been my experience that the method of most warranty repairs are up to the responsible party, in this case Nissan
be sure to document any and all conversations, repair orders, commitments, dates & times, parts, labor, etc very carefully & thoroughly
that way, you will have all your ducks lined up in a row in the event that any repairs go awry
Thanks for the info, This place I use has been very good to deal with so I dont foresee any issues however I am skeptical by nature and have a severe case of OCD.

I have looked at the fluid via the dip stick and it doesn't look milky just a weird shade of pink, not like nice red tranny fluid I am used to seeing, plus it has a bad smell. I have to assume it is shot at this point, just couldn't be anything else as far as I can tell. Even when putting it in gear it kind of lurches a few times real quick. Something is def wrong. Know for sure in the morning though.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:47 pm

PC05 wrote:
eieio wrote:
PC05 wrote: Something is def wrong. Know for sure in the morning though.
be sure to lettuce know 8)

PC05

Postby PC05 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm

eieio wrote:
PC05 wrote:
eieio wrote: be sure to lettuce know 8)
Soon as the guy calls me I will give an update in the am hopefully.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Well, wife took pathy in this morning to a local dealer we have used once 2 months ago for all the recalls. Said they would get to it mid morning, hadnt heard anything up until 1330 so I gave them a call. Service rep stated they had drove it twice for 21 miles and could not duplicate problem and said the fluid did not show any coolant in it. I calmly said WHAT, I said if my wife who is not a nissan trained tech can tell when something is wrong and you guys cant feel it what is that saying about you guys. He said he was going to have someone else drive it at 1400 and would call me back. Told the guy at what speed it was doing it and mostly up inclines at 60mph. Well at 1530 he calls and says still cant dup it at which point I said my wife will come down there and you can ride with her. So at 1600 wife txt me and said guy was in the car and it happened and the rep said woaaa I can feel it slipping now, so he stated we will get the paperwork started and it would all be replaced. They did give her a versa to drive in the meantime. Guy did say that it would progressively get worse over time and it is def in the early stages as we stated that it started happening this weekend. So we feel better now that they are going to replace it.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Sucks that they could not feel the problem until your wife came down and drove with them

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 pm

volvite wrote:Sucks that they could not feel the problem until your wife came down and drove with them
yea typical crap out of a dealer. Hoping to get it Friday but it may be more like Monday or tuesday depending on when they can get parts in from the distribution ctr. words of the rep. I will know more in the am.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Make sure and post the final results.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:46 am

New twist to all this crap, they found a u1000 code, which is some ground issue which can cause stuttering in tranny, which involves replacing a battery terminal and any other ground conn. on the vehicle, 2 hrs labor for that he stated and they want to do the total flush, all this they were told to do by the Nissan "engineers" at HQ. before considering a full trany swap.

THis is what made me call foul. Rep said that there is two kinds of tranny cooler on the pathfinders, one is internal to the rad and one is external, wifes has the external one and they have not seen any of those go bad up to this point as it is all of the internal ones. HE said he did not know why that was the case and why certain pathys got either one over the other when they were built. HE did say that fluid did need changing.

What do you guys think?

ETA: cost to do all this 389$otd

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”