Rear brake job

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

HillbillyJake

Rear brake job

Postby HillbillyJake » Sat May 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Good evening all. I have to do a rear brake job on my 08 and was wondering if there is anything special that has to be done to push in the rear caliper. I know on my wife's 06 Chrysler Sebring you have to use a special tool that rotates the piston while pushing it in. I have 76k on my truck and am going to do brakes and rotors. any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated. this is my first time dealing with rear disc brakes. everything I have owned up to know had drums in the back. thanks in advance.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat May 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Like most vehicles, the rear caliper piston spins in versus just the standard in and out. I used a pair of large needle nose pliers. I think it was clockwise if I remember correctly.

goblue90

Re: Rear brake job

Postby goblue90 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:18 pm

HillbillyJake wrote:Good evening all. I have to do a rear brake job on my 08 and was wondering if there is anything special that has to be done to push in the rear caliper. I know on my wife's 06 Chrysler Sebring you have to use a special tool that rotates the piston while pushing it in. I have 76k on my truck and am going to do brakes and rotors. any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated. this is my first time dealing with rear disc brakes. everything I have owned up to know had drums in the back. thanks in advance.
It's a straight forward remove and replace for the rotors and pads... I replaced my rear rotors and pads from ones I bought from r1concepts.com and don't remember using any special tool to rotate/push the piston into the caliper.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun May 15, 2011 8:42 pm

no spin on the pathfinder. use a big c-clamp or water-pump pliers or WHY. If you're working at a good height, you can push it in with the butt end of your ratchet.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”