Reverse Camera Mod?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

farrelj

Reverse Camera Mod?

Postby farrelj » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 am

Hello, first time over here.

I have a 2007 Pathfinder Aventura (UK) that has the reversing camera and dash integrated monitor. The monitor is used for lots of things, sat nav, Cd and when you put the car in reverse gear it switches the reversing camera on.

I'd quite like to be able to override the switch so that I can turn it on (when towing) without having to be in reverse gear.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:40 am

Welcome to forum!!

What about the camera angle, are you planning to modify that? My guess is that you do not see much when towing and its not worth it.

Anyway, if you are going to do it, would you post some pics and "how to's" here.

farrelj

Postby farrelj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:43 pm

No I think the angle will be fine; it's quite a long range as it's supposed to be so you don't hit things when going backwards.

My trailer is quite short so I don't see it out the window or in the mirrors so was thinking this would be a neat way of keeping an eye on it. I'm not sure it's even possible to be honest which is why I was wondering if anyone else had done/considered it.

A more sensible solution would be to build the trailer up so that I can see it in the rear view mirror but where would the fun be in that? You've got to use the gadgets where you can. :D

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Have you been able to modify this to work?

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Mon May 16, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm taking an educated guess here-

The screen has a reverse input wire going into it - I'm assuming that when that wire is given +12 volts (or possibly grounded, use a voltmeter or check the service guide), the camera is activated and the screen switches to the camera view. This is similar to the thread on here about interrupting the VSS wire so that you can use all of the screen's features while in motion.

Remember though that when the car is in reverse, most of the radio controls/buttons are locked.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 am

John is correct on the reverse sensing wire. I installed my own DVD system and added a backup camera, and my reverse sensing wire is tied in to the reverse lights. All you have to do is find that particular wire, and re-route that to a switch (mounted somewhere convenient on the dash) going to an "on" 12V line and you should be good to go. If you want to keep the auto-on-in-reverse functionality, you could just tap off that reverse sensing wire, just be sure to put a diode in line down stream of your tap so that when you flip the new switch on your dash, it doesn't activate whatever powered device (aka reverse lights) the camera sensing wire is currently fed from.

Of course, watching an image on the screen when your driving may not be the most safety-friendly idea in the first place :wink:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”