Sudden Overheating with changes in Oil Pressure

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

oyarsa

Sudden Overheating with changes in Oil Pressure

Postby oyarsa » Sun May 22, 2011 10:18 am

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm not very adept with forum searches.

Day before yesterday, I was waiting at a coffee stand with the air conditioner going pretty high though it wasn't particularly hot outside. Just before driving off, I noticed a very strong smell of antifreeze. The air conditioner was no longer blowing so cold, either, so I looked down as I pulled out and the temperature gauge was at the warning line for overheating. I immediately turned on the heater and started moving and the temperature plummeted back down. After that, if I stopped at a light (with or without the AC on) the temperature would start to move back up pretty quickly.

I also noticed that when I gave the car gas, the oil pressure would go up and back down as I let off the gas.

Yesterday I went driving in much cooler weather and had no problems, but was never stopped long. I also didn't notice the oil pressure changing. We'll see what it does today, and tomorrow I'll find a place to get it checked out. Any suggestions what might be the problem?

Thanks!

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 am

did you check the water level ?

oyarsa

Postby oyarsa » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, surprisingly the level looked fine. It did look like the radiator cap had leaked some. I took it off and put it back on. Could it possibly have come loose and caused it to lose pressure?

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun May 22, 2011 2:00 pm

when you turned on your heater, was the air warm? If you have an SE/LE, have you checked your rear lines? Maybe also check your trans fluid while you're at it. Which cap did you check? The one on the rad or the one on the over-flow (pressure cap)? If you have an earlier production model, the heater line has a bleeder on the passenger side that always leaks too...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”