1998 nissan pathfinder rear drivers side door issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

eroth88

Postby eroth88 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:24 pm

The problem I am having is the rear driver side door does no open. the outside handles flaps in the wind as if it is not connected to anything and the interior handle does nothing, odds are the locking mechanism is broken. I am guessing that means the only way in there is cutting the interior trim panel? if so, does anyone know the cheapest/best way of getting a new one and the part #?

Thanks,
Edgar

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 am

You *might* be able to remove the rear seat giving you enough access to any screws holding the interior door trim on. I can't pictures an R50 right now but I bet that would work. Then you could at-least reconnect the linkage or at a minimum open the door and then rig a cable or something while you source the correct parts.

BertPhila

rear door won't open

Postby BertPhila » Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 am

Same problem- rear passenger door will not open. Outside handle flaps in the wind. Inside handle, mechanical or electric locks, does nothing. All other doors and their mechanisms work normally. Anybody with a suggestion for getting the door open? 1998 Pathfinder

12apennachi

Postby 12apennachi » Tue May 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I had the same problem a few years back with my '97! I wish I knew exactly how I did it but I remember that I got the trim off without cutting or removing the seat, with some force maybe. And once I got it off it didn't get any easier. I actually believe I needed to bend a piece of wire to fit! But it has been working still, going strong for about 5 years now.

BertPhila

Postby BertPhila » Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 pm

In response to my earlier post on this topic. I was able to get the door to open with a rod I made with a 90 degree bend. Then I inserted that rod into the door's interior from the inner side of the fixed window. Below, at the latching mechanism, I was able to depress the release bar which normally works with the outside handle.
Once door opened, I unscrewed and then pulled out the outside lock handle/assembly. It seemed that heavy rust had stopped the spring in mid-position and thus prevented the door from opening from outside or inside.
I dosed the spring assembly with 10W-40 and worked the spring assembly until it moved easily.
Be aware that the rod connecting the outside handle/spring assembly to the latching mechanism can only be put in place from inside the door. Meaning to say the interior door panel must be removed before the outside handle's connecting rod can be put into place with the door's latching mechanism.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”