High rpm on start up

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

res0ippr

High rpm on start up

Postby res0ippr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Hello all,

I just joined in but have read much about the PF. Thanks.

Anyway, my wifes pathfinder starts at around 2200 rpm when starting in the morning. Based on what I read its kind of normal. However, sometimes it even makes like a metallic noise from the bottom; especially when it sits for two days.

Has anybody done something to reduce it? Just concerns me that the engine is wearing it self at start up with little lubrication. Its an 06 with only 61k miles and has done it since we got at 40k miles.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:21 pm

I don't have this issue, but I've seen a few threads similar to this. Possible timing chain situation. However, some of the noise could be just no lubrication on start up. Next oil change, I'd recommend putting a qt of Lucas Oil stablizer instead of one qt of oil and see what that does. I've used it on multiple family vehicles and it's made the engines run better.

res0ippr

Postby res0ippr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks. I tried the Mobile 0w30 and it seems to help. I figure it will lube on start up better. Truck seems to love...runs like new.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 am

If you are referring to the initial spike in RPM upon startup, this is very common, and the sound can be accentuated by high initial cooling fan speeds as well, due to the nature of a viscous fan clutch on startup.

However, if the RPMs stay at 2200 for longer that 5 seconds or so, you have a bigger problem. Perhaps MAF sensor, though that would make your Service Engine Soon light come on. Also could be TPS (throttle position sensor) though this would probably exhibit issues when trying to drive the vehicle.

Oil viscosity will have no effect on engine RPM. Engine speed is regulated by the ECM using many different sensor inputs.

Volvite's recommendation of using Lucas Oil products is a good general practice (I have had great luck with the Upper Cylinder Lubricant myself), but I doubt it would affect engine speed either.

t

res0ippr

Postby res0ippr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:58 am

I'm actual more concern about engine lube on start up as I was reading that most of the engine wear occurs at start up.

Perhaps I over represented the rpms spiking..it only goes to 2000 but then comes back down. I now know its not a problem but typical.

Thanks. Art.

glockshooter

Postby glockshooter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I've noticed it when starting my 07. 2000+ for a second or two. I asked when it was in for service and was told it was so the engine would lubricate on start up. Don't know if that's right or not, but I noticed it when I first got it.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:56 pm

it is very normal at startup

try turning on the ignition and wait for 2 seconds then turn the car on. if u listen closely, the fuel pump will turn on and off for those 2 seconds and i found it helps avoid the spike.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”