achieving the blackness?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

basemodel

achieving the blackness?

Postby basemodel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:16 pm

you guys with the stealth look; did you use anything special on the grille and wheels, or is it just rattle can flat black? i want to do mine, but i'd like to only do it once. any trick to the prep, or just scuff it up? any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated. thanks.

soosh

Postby soosh » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:10 pm

dont rattle can them, if you want them done right and want them to last and not chip/flake off, you should deffinitely powder coat them. ive rattle canned wheels and had the powdered, well worth the money to get them done right

basemodel

Postby basemodel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 am

i would love to have them coated, but this is my family truckster. i almost can't afford to have it blocked up in the driveway for any length of time.

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Plasti-dip spray. Cheap, looks great, durable, and easily removed if you don't like it. Lots of info and pictures on this method on the frontier forum.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:50 pm

yeziam wrote:Plasti-dip spray. Cheap, looks great, durable, and easily removed if you don't like it. Lots of info and pictures on this method on the frontier forum.
x2 plasti dipped my rims/grill and emblems in the back. Did it back in may and have no problems. Been wheelin a few times and on the beach with 18psi in the tires with no signs of wear. all i did was pull the rims off the truck, clean it with soap and water, then again with simple green, dried them, then tape off around the tire. Put 3 coats on and there holding up.The real test is how they do in the winter with the salt. but for $25 I'll just respray them if something happens.

sbrethauer

Postby sbrethauer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Saw a topic earlier where a guy painted his stock wheels using Rustoleum Bed Liner Spray, looked pretty good, not too sure how theyre holding up, but I'm in the same boat. Really just wanna paint my wheels, was gonna powder coat but with it as our family vehicle cant be out of commission too long. Looking more into the bed liner spray, I'm sure it holds up better than just paint. Back in the day when I was into Honda civics, I painted a few sets of wheels with spray paint. I stripped the clearcoat off of the wheels before I did that though, and they seemed to hold up well.

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:36 pm

NYPathfinder wrote:The real test is how they do in the winter with the salt. but for $25 I'll just respray them if something happens.
I have had my winter wheels on my daily driver plastidipped for two seasons and it's holding up just fine.

basemodel

Postby basemodel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:29 pm

thanks for the tips. you guys are awesome.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”