Question about adding a Sub

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

tiger9297

Question about adding a Sub

Postby tiger9297 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I have an '08 Pathfinder LE. The Pathfinder has the Bose system.

My questions:

1)I have a box with two 10" subs that I'd like to put in the Pathfinder. I was wondering if the Pathfinder has an Amp that would drive the subs or would I need to buy an amp?

2) If I buy an amp, does the factory Bose system have a plug-in, or a simple way to add an external amp?

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 pm

The stock amp wont supply enough power.

Im pretty sure you can tap into one of your rear speakers for your rca signal. If noone here answers your questions with actual install experiance then go to or call a local shop and ask them.

gond34

Postby gond34 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:12 am

^^^ Correct; you just need an RCA line output converter.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 am

You'd have to get an amp as mentioned, and id advise to just upgrade your headunit while you are at it and then run your amp off of that. The sound quality will be substantially better.

Downslide

Postby Downslide » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:10 am

^^^ What Jesse said. The Stock radio system is configured specifically to drive what is in the vehicle, nothing more. It does it very well, as far as I'm concerned, but opinions are varied. If you want MOAR BASS, you're going to have to swap out the head unit for an aftermarket designed for sub output, and aftermarket amps to drive them. If you just toss your sub box in, tap off the rear speaker line for sound, and bolt down another amp, your sound quality will drop thru your floorboards at any volume. Sure, the new amp will power the speaker, but the audio output will be the electronic equivalent of tying a third can to the middle of a can and string phone.

Just my .02 Actually Miles May Vary.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”