Putting the Path on a diet

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Putting the Path on a diet

Postby Gray » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:33 pm

This thread might not be for all, but because I look to fuel economy I'd like to give some thought to some ways to shave weight off the PF. As I don't use the rear bumper /hitch for towing I'm thinking that this could be taken off and replaced with a purpose built aluminum 7075 /T6 type alloy similar configuration and strength replacement for a saving of about 50 pounds. The Euro PF's doesn't come with this huge lump of a hitch type bumper. I suppose the hidden front bumper could be replaced with structural aluminum as well for another 20-30 pounds saving. Thanks.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:37 pm

It's kind of difficult to find decent quality replacement 7075 T6 aluminum and titanium bolts at a fair prices but I suppose these guys get them from somewhere;

Racing Bolts

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:30 am

It seems hard to believe that you'd ever recoup the costs of the hitch/bumper modifications with the fuel economy gains of only 50 lb. If you're racing that weight is substantial, but I doubt you'll see much gain in efficiency. I'd focus on aerodynamic or engine airflow modifications first.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:49 pm

LittleStevie wrote: I'd focus on aerodynamic or engine airflow modifications first.
Some of that has been done or is being worked on.
LittleStevie wrote:It seems hard to believe that you'd ever recoup the costs of the hitch/bumper modifications with the fuel economy gains of only 50 lb.

Actually that's just an estimate for the rear bumper bar, the front would be something additional. My material costs are minimal and welding is just about free if you don't include the beer for my neighbor /aircraft mechanic - welder guy. In any case the total weight saving goal is closer to 500 lbs or more if possible, wheels, tires, seats, battery, etc.

Anyone know where to get some inexpensive titanium rear coil springs fabricated. :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Greybrick wrote:In any case the total weight saving goal is closer to 500 lbs or more if possible, wheels, tires, seats, battery, etc.
Sounds like someone needs to trade in the PF for a car :?

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:35 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Greybrick wrote:In any case the total weight saving goal is closer to 500 lbs or more if possible, wheels, tires, seats, battery, etc.
Sounds like someone needs to trade in the PF for a car :?
Shaving weight on a vehicle for fuel economy and for enhancing offroad capabilities are not mutually exclusive. Anyone can walk into a 4x4 shop and stick on several hundred pounds of bumper guards, skid plates and traction tires and might think they are ready for some serious bush trails but maybe haven't thought the whole process through. True offroad is all about shaving weight :wink: ;

Putting an Xterra on an offroad diet

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 pm

First thing I can think of is to replace the steel spare wheel with a lighter aluminum wheel .... yea, just remove the Hitch if you dont use it ... remove the rear jump seats if you dont use them ... other than that your looking at mabie replacing the carpet with a lighter carpet without the sound deadening ....

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:20 pm

Greybrick wrote:
Shaving weight on a vehicle for fuel economy and for enhancing offroad capabilities are not mutually exclusive. Anyone can walk into a 4x4 shop and stick on several hundred pounds of bumper guards, skid plates and traction tires and might think they are ready for some serious bush trails but maybe haven't thought the whole process through.
What whole process? If you are talking fuel economy on super extended trips, that's what jerry cans are for. You need to be equipped to a certain degree for off road, especially in these parts. I just don't think that replacing a bunch of items with lighter & more expensive items is going to do much of anything aside from a few MPG improvement. But, as you said in your first post, this isn't for everyone.
True offroad is all about shaving weight :wink: ;
Offroad racing, absolutely yes. I'd never even think about taking the PF on the Rubicon, but every rig & group I've been with there have all been equipped to the hilt & very much loaded down with everything and anything. MPG was not of any importance. Making it out in one piece, on all 4 wheels, was.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:34 pm

NVSteve wrote:Sounds like someone needs to trade in the PF for a car :?
"Strange Brew" (w/credit to Cream) :|

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 am

SilverGhost wrote:"Strange Brew" (w/credit to Cream) :|
Might look that way but basicly just trying to get rid of some of the deadweight, and optimizing weights to get about an inch more clearance without having additional LT tire /wheel weights. Rather than a super light battery that would cost like $700 I'm thinking maybe Optima drycell but moving it somewhere in the back to get 40 pounds off of the front springs. I'm still thinking a T6 aluminum front and rear bumper would work to shave off some pounds.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”