6%

Total votes: 33

Gray

Roof rack ?

Postby Gray » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Just wondering how often owners use the Tonka Toy roof rack;

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:44 pm

if you are referring to the OEM rack, then i have used it several times in the month that i have owned my truck. big fan of it as it actually seems to be one the most solid factory racks available. will get a lot more use when i get a cargo basket for it and take a little time off to go 'exploring'.

i'll assume from the 'toy' comment that you view yours differently.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm

Works well enough for me. I attach my Thule mounts and loadbars, along with the Yakima kayak saddles, from about May-October every year. I have no qualms toting around 2x 16' kayaks on top, as the factory rack provides a very solid base mount.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 pm

I actually haven't used them yet as I just put on the crossbars this week. Mine is an S and didn't have them from the factory. The setup looks much stronger than those on my old Wagoneer, which I had to take off and use my old Yakimas. We have bike racks, ski racks, and a Space Cadet, so you know the racks will get used.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 am

4x8 sheets of plywood, matresses, and other oddly shaped furniture...
just be gentle if you use ratcheting tie down to secure your load up there :shock: .

I'm a little dissapointed with how fixed the racks are but understand thats part of what makes them so sturdy. Too bad they cant integrate a lightrack to it.

Brit

Postby Brit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 am

I use mine mainly with a roof-box attached to cart around the ton gear we seem to take away with us everytime... :?

See here http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=568

Kyson

Postby Kyson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:56 am

Strange enough, its one of the reasons we bought the Pathfinder. The sturdiness of the factory rack was a consideration because, like NV Steve, we haul our kayaks all year with a Thule mount. Additionally it hauls both both mountain and road bikes.

Combined with the fold flat third row, 4WD, and its medium size there really wasn't another choice - the Pathfinder fit our needs perfectly. I told my wife this past weekend while hauling bikes back from an outing that "this thing just quietly proves its worth everyday".

Brit

Postby Brit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:46 am

Completely agree Kyson, a real versatile vehicle. I originally looked at a Discovery (LR3) but they were way too expensive and they come with the usual LR build quality problems. 10 years of previous LR ownership had well and truely ground me down, the car's (I had 4 in total over 10 yrs) must have spent half of their life back at the dealership under going warranty work, a real shame as they could be so good if they got it right.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I'll mirror others and if you meant the OEM plain jane setup not often by its-self and when I do I don't enjoy it. But I have a Yakima Load Warrior with the 18" extension the I keep up there pretty much non-stop. Carried pretty good loads of lumber, a dresser, bags, riding lawn mower attachements, all kinds of chit up there. And the Load Warrior give me much better tie down points to secure the load.

In-fact I've got a 17ft piece of 3" PVC pipe with threaded ends hooked to the Yakima right now. I use it to pickup 16ft pieces of interior trim and long lengths of steel tubing, etc. Tons easier than tie-ing that flimsy stuff down as it secures with 2 rubber bungie cords that allow no movement.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:04 pm

hey blink: you notice much additional noise from the load warrior? if so, you think it would be any different w/o the extension? (primarily due to distance from the moonroof)

will be putting a cargo rack on for sure, and the yak seems to fit pretty nicely.

thx

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:22 pm

The noise is ridiculous with the sun roof open compared to not having the basket. It should/could be reduced by having it further back though. But even 18 inches back won't be enough to completely muffle it.

If you do go Yakima make sure and check out RackAttack.com . That's where I got mine and at the time it was the cheapest place including shipping ($269.99 for rack and was free shipping) plus they threw in a free visor cd case (big whoop) and a waterproof cargo bag (big and boxy shaped but free and waterproof!). I bought a number of other yakima accessories at the time and ended up dropping just over $472.

DO NOT get the Yakima locks. Complete POS's as locks and totally not worth anything in terms of security.

Tony

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:30 pm

thanks T. figured it would be noisy regardless.

actually the yak LW price through the nissan dealer is about $250, so i might just go through them (that is unless i can get a sweet bag outta the deal...will give that site a look). still have a number of yak mounts/cross bars from the set up i had on my F-150, but fortunately i was told previously to avoid the locks (thx again, tho).

if i haven't said it b4, i dig the look of your rig w/ the OME, 285s, and yak.

Brit

Postby Brit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Ditto that regarding the 285's and OME, really gives it a mean looking stance.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:26 pm

That's a good price. And thank you both for the comments. I'm happy with where I am at too.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:17 pm

I use it regularly, my skiis are up there now. I have a Thule Ascent 1100 Pod up there, fits the factory crossbars really well, better than what I had on my early 90's Pathy.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”