01 PF 2->3 Shift Flare Temp<50 degrees **Help!

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

swanicyouth

01 PF 2->3 Shift Flare Temp<50 degrees **Help!

Postby swanicyouth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:12 am

I recently bought an 01 Pathfinder w/ "turn knob" 4x4 (Auto 86k). When it's less than 50 degrees out (only on cold start) the transmission flares (RPMs jump from 2500 to 3000 -never higher) on the 1st or 2nd 2-->3 shift of the morning. I saw a TSB on this that reccomends changing the TCM and A/B shift solenoid packs (expensive). Ive also read many have done this to no avail. Is this an early sign of failure; or just poor programming of the TCM to cut back the line pressure inside the trans to limit shift shock when cold? If it's not a predictor of future failure I can live with it. Trans fluid was old (not burnt); just changed it to Castrol Multi-Import fluid (2x change). Wasn't cold enough here to notice it before the change, so no idea if/how that affected it. Also, torque converter had an occasional shudder issue that I fixed 100% with a bottle of LubeGuard Premium Trans Additive. Anyone familiar with Nissan transmissions know anything about this specific issue? Is this a sign of failure or just slushbox normal operation? Who has been experiencing this and for how long?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”