Strange Rattle under my 2003 Pathfinder Se

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

dpassino

Strange Rattle under my 2003 Pathfinder Se

Postby dpassino » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Just started happening a couple days ago. Not too fond of the noise at all! Freaking me out. Any Clues? Noise really only happens when I put the her in a Reverse or a Driving gear. Stays quiet in Park and Neutral. Also stays quiet when I'm on the move, but once I go below 1k rpm, noise starts again. I'm going to assume probably some part of the exhaust is loose, but I don't know where or how to begin to diagnose from where it's loose.

Have a listen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isj-dYDQtso

Any Input and Suggestions are welcomed! I'm not too mechanical other than brakes and minor engine tune ups, so please speak to me as a layman. Thanks guys and gals!

twosont

Postby twosont » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:21 pm

definitely exhaust.
check where the pipe comes up by the rear wheel. There is a flange up there has the potential to hold water/snow/ice/salt. It ends up rusting out.

dpassino

Postby dpassino » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

twosont wrote:definitely exhaust.
check where the pipe comes up by the rear wheel. There is a flange up there has the potential to hold water/snow/ice/salt. It ends up rusting out.
Sure enough there is a clamp that holds the final piping and the muffler piping together and the clamp is completely broken and rusted out.. rattling when car is idle in reverse or drive. I didn't look to closely if the flanges are screwed up or not (if there are flanges there.) Gonna have meinekee take a look at it and see what the $$$ estimate is. Thanks mate!

ironb

Postby ironb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 am

I had the same issue turns to be the heat shields on the exhaust system. They tend to rust out over time. When the car is in gear the exhaust will vibrate against the loose heat shield.

roki303

Postby roki303 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 am

Had the same issue - rusted heat shield. Went to Home Depot, bought a couple of pipe clamps, used them to replace the rusted ones and the issue has been fixed.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”