2001 P.O.S. pathfinder fuel problem

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

wnadrag

2001 P.O.S. pathfinder fuel problem

Postby wnadrag » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:47 am

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? For a while every now and then my pathfinder would cut out when I floored it like it was starving for gas. usually around 4k rpm. The problem got worse and worse. Now the truck will not run at all. It starts up right away and idels for about 3 seconds then stalls. Wait 5 seconds, you can start it right up again, and stalls again. If you try to give it any gas at all it just stalls quicker. At first I thought maybe some fuel system cleaner. Then I tried replacing the fuel filter. Then the fuel pump. What else is there? please help!

dpassino

Postby dpassino » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:54 am

is SES light on or does it flash at all?

Initial thought is... Mass Air Flow Sensor may be dirty or malfunctioning.

wnadrag

Postby wnadrag » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 am

WOW, I think your right. First of all I had to look up what and where a Mass airflow sensor was. I went out and unplugged it and the car started right up. still ran like crap but started. If it's plugged back in the car won't start just like before. Is there anything I can do to try cleaning it before I buy a new one? I can't believe how much money that thing cost. Thank you so much. Wish I asked befor I bought a new fuel pump, (and also dropped the tank only to find out there was an access pannel)

Tele4Mongo

Postby Tele4Mongo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm having a similar issue. They make a MAF spray you can get at any auto parts store. I needed 2 cans to completely clean the inside and sensor. I cleaned it like new but my problem still exist. I took it in for a fuel cleaning and the check engine light went out and it seem to run fine for a few hours. The problem came back.

My pathfinder idles fine and runs without error if I baby the gas pedal. If I punch the gas slightly, it hesitates.

All these actions with no success:
Cleaned MAF (as suggested here)
Changes vacuum hoses
Changes spark plugs
Changes vacuum solenoid ($150 part)

The only thing that worked temporarily was running fuel injection cleaner and running the cars on the highway for around 75 miles. Problem went away for 6 months. I tried it again to no success.

I can't take it to the dealer as when I last did, both my back shocks went out at the same time shortly after the service (only 50k on the car when services).

Any help on this forum would be appreciated. I know I'm not providing a solution but hopefully the readers on the forum will see more than one person has such a symptom.

James

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”