Sound from the left front - almost sounds like a wheel beari

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

speedline

Sound from the left front - almost sounds like a wheel beari

Postby speedline » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Hey all, have a 2007 Pathfinder SE. Have been hearing a sound from the left front. Its like:

whooo whooo whooo and so on.

Almost sounds like a wheel bearing possibly. Its seems to get worse if I slightly turn the steering wheel to the left or the right. Also gets worse under heavy braking.

Anyone had this problem?

Truck is under warranty so I better just take it in.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Sound from the left front - almost sounds like a wheel b

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm

speedline wrote: whooo whooo whooo and so on.
Sounds like a siren to me.
Truck is under warranty so I better just take it in.
Your safest bet by far. Let us know if there is an actual problem.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Speedline -

How any miles on your truck? If the mileage is low enough for the truck to still be under warranty, a wheel bearing is not the likely problem. Get the dealer's read on it, then go from there. My first guess would be a tire tread separation, particularly if you're running the OEM Generals like came on mine. Are you experiencing tire bumps, vibration, anything of that sort?

If it's a tire problem, you're probably on your own, 'cause I think the OEM's are warranted for only 12,000 miles.

As always, my gut reaction is subject to being proven wrong!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:16 pm

SilverGhost wrote:If it's a tire problem, you're probably on your own, 'cause I think the OEM's are warranted for only 12,000 miles.
Are you serious? I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but still.

speedline,

I 2nd SilverGhost's question about the mileage. I also know the stock tires, BFG Rugged Trail in my case, were not going to last much longer. I wonder if it could be a warped rotor? In any case, I do hope that Nissan figures out where the problem lies.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 pm

NVSteve wrote:Are you serious? I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but still.
NVS - As I said, it's very possible that I'm wrong. I'm winging it without reviewing my truck's documentation. But, IIRC, tires have always been warrenteed separately, usually by the tire manufacturer. If anyone finds to the contrary, I stand before you, respectfully and humbly corrected :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:44 pm

SilverGhost wrote: NVS - As I said, it's very possible that I'm wrong. I'm winging it without reviewing my truck's documentation. But, IIRC, tires have always been warrenteed separately, usually by the tire manufacturer. If anyone finds to the contrary, I stand before you, respectfully and humbly corrected :wink:
I'm just not that surprised is all. When I bought mine, it came with free tires for life. That means free tires of their choosing, and their selection is extremely limited. It was just never a concern for me as I never keep factory tires on very long before dumping them. I may have tire warranty info in my documentation, but I always seem to skip over it.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:08 am

With Nissan in my area I've been told not to limited myself by taking the truck back to the original sales point dealership for service or questions. If you think that the original sales dealership isn't up to the service work tasks find the best Nissan service shop /service manager in your area and see if that goes better for you. Clunks, rattles and other weird noises is on them for the first while.

speedline

Postby speedline » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Yeah it has 17,000miles on it. I am thinking it may be the tire. I am going to rotate the tires this weekend and see if that makes a difference.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”