Rear Hatch Hydraulics

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Anyone know any alternate companies that make this part? I tried to order it but they said that they couldn't ship to Hawaii. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

path26

Postby path26 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:42 pm

I replaced mine last year because the factory ones suck. I replaced them with some I ordered online from a company I learned about on here just do a search because I cannot remember where that was. I want to say they are 225lb ea. door swings up strong a little higher and doesn't slam as hard. They were very cheap to replace too.

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:49 pm

SteveFinn wrote:I just installed 200 lb struts last night (9416K148). I wouldn't go any bigger than the 200 lb struts.
I agree. I just installed the 200lb struts tonight and they're perfect. A light tug, step back and the lift gate opens to full extension.

Thanks again for all of the info shared on here. You guys are great!

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Lol, Let me be more specific thanks for the reply gents. I tried to order from McMaster, they told me it would be twenty dollars to ship so I said go for it. within the next couple hours they said that they would not ship it out here due to USPS regulations regarding special regulations for high pressure items. So, I was wondering if anyone know any other companies besides OEM that I can order/go to for this strut. Thanks ahead of time sorry for the vagueness of my previous post. I love you guys. BTW if anyone has installed the airlift 1000 I'd like to know where you mounted the inlet hoses, also if you mounted them on your 7 pin what width did you use. Thanks ahead of times. ONE

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 pm

pandarturo88 wrote:....... BTW if anyone has installed the airlift 1000 I'd like to know where you mounted the inlet hoses, also if you mounted them on your 7 pin what width did you use. Thanks ahead of times. ONE
Check out the post on the AirLift 1000 qne you will find all the info and pics you need.
Last edited by hfrez on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:33 pm

pandarturo88 wrote: So, I was wondering if anyone know any other companies besides OEM that I can order/go to for this strut.
Check out Advance. I am looking for some liftgate struts as well and this I probably where I will get them. I've used their struts before on my Grand Cherokee's and they worked well.

Edit: Ah, I see you're in Hawaii. Don't think Advance has any stores there.

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:52 am

Yes, being in Hawaii is throwing a big fat monkey wrench into everything -_-. I wish I was back in Cali where McMaster is located....haha. anyways thanks for the replies!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Well I just placed an order for the 9416K148 lifts from McMaster-Carr. It said it would ship after the holidays. Looking forward to their arrival.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I need some help. I spent a couple of hours this weekend working on my glass hatch. One of the hinges was a bit loose, so I had to tighten those up, although because of the poor design, it wasn't as simple as tightening a nut. I also removed the handle because water had been getting in and rusting one of the bolts & washers, so I cleaned those off & reinstalled using clear silicone.

The problem I have is my glass hatch struts are pretty much shot. Rather than go the expensive & lower quality OEM route, I want to order some struts from McMaster. My only problem now is figuring out how much force I should order them in. I had both disconnected & would say the glass + hardwear is no more than 20 lbs, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows what the OEM struts are rated for, I'd be grateful. Here are a couple of shots of the strut in question.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I still can't figure out how powerful of a strut I should get. Google is not my friend with this one. However, I did run across a huge number of posts about the glass hatch in the Explorer simply exploding on people. Pretty funny stuff, and it takes a bit of the bite out of all the Nissan problems.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56 am

watching this as well.. mine need replacement soon

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 am

My lifts arrived yesterday in this:

Didn't think they needed that big of a box.

Well I went out this morning and it took maybe 15 minutes for the swap. For those that have yet to do the swap you will be better off to remove both old lift first then install the new lifts at the same time. I tried leaving one side at a time to help with lifting the hatch when I was swapping the other side, but because the new lifts are longer, they won't attach with the old lift still on.

I'm really loving the new lifts already. I don't have to lift much at all to get it to open up, and it does not slam shut either. Also it opens just a bit taller than the OEM lifts which is a plus for me at 6ft.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

glass hatch struts

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 am

NVSteve wrote:I still can't figure out how powerful of a strut I should get.
I placed an order for some this weekend. Most likely the wrong ones, but I'll try them out & post here as soon as they come in.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 am

I'll be watching your research on the rear glass lifts.

By chance, has anyone thought about adding lifts to the hood?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 pm

volvite wrote: By chance, has anyone thought about adding lifts to the hood?
I have. There is even a thread on thenewx site that lists parts needed and instructions. Just isn't a big priority for me, otherwise I would have done this mod already. I did see a post recently on that same Xterra forum where someone's hood ended up getting dented because of the gas struts. I don't remember the details as I just glanced at it, but it seems like he installed them the same way as everyone else.

Here's the link to the how-to thread:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... =hood+lift

I haven't looked up the actual part numbers for the hood on the X vs the Pathfinder, but I've been told the engine bay & hoods are identical.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”