P0430

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bati

Postby bati » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:47 am

webmastir wrote:
bati wrote:
webmastir wrote:Nope, it never came back for that. I've got some other issue with some sort of Fuel Tank sensor now :cry:
I had that same problem too but its an easy job to replace the fuel sensor.
Yeah. I saw a diy write up somewhere. Didn't seem too simple. Included drilling into the frame or some shit
you don't need to drill into the frame. just remove the gas tank and replace the sensor.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:52 am

bati wrote:you don't need to drill into the frame. just remove the gas tank and replace the sensor.
Just remove the gas tank. That easy ;)

bati

Postby bati » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 pm

webmastir wrote:
bati wrote:you don't need to drill into the frame. just remove the gas tank and replace the sensor.
Just remove the gas tank. That easy ;)
this removal is for an xterra
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15054
but its the same process with the pathfinder

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Aw, nice find. Thanks man

I just remembered...I think there was recall for this wasn't there? I never got it done. Hell, I think I even have the paper that says to go get it done
:shock:

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 am

Not meaning to bump an older thread but after searching and reading this one, it seems I've got a cat issue? Pathy threw the SES light a day ago and I took it to O'Rielly's for a free scan. They told me is read something about the catalyst and a code 430. That being said, I'm about to have to change the cats out now? :( How soon should I take care of this. Sorry for sounding like a noob. *06 Pathy, 123k miles, avg 16.8mpgs*

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 am

I don't think it's something that needs to imminently be fixed, but you do have to address that problem eventually. You won't be able to do emissions testing w/ it...so that's a bummer. There are prob some other things to consider, but as far as i remember, there wasn't anything that was too serious. I drove with it for a little while.
Waits for others to chime in...

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:02 am

Thats what I thinking/hoping. Thanks.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 am

webmastir wrote:I don't think it's something that needs to imminently be fixed, but you do have to address that problem eventually. You won't be able to do emissions testing w/ it...so that's a bummer. There are prob some other things to consider, but as far as i remember, there wasn't anything that was too serious. I drove with it for a little while.
may affect fuel mileage & emissions
in a rare case, because of valve overlap, if the cat is failing due to deterioration rather than simple clogging, debris could be sucked into the exhaust port and result in valve, piston, and/or cylinder wall damage

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:29 am

eieio wrote:
webmastir wrote:I don't think it's something that needs to imminently be fixed, but you do have to address that problem eventually. You won't be able to do emissions testing w/ it...so that's a bummer. There are prob some other things to consider, but as far as i remember, there wasn't anything that was too serious. I drove with it for a little while.
may affect fuel mileage & emissions
in a rare case, because of valve overlap, if the cat is failing due to deterioration rather than simple clogging, debris could be sucked into the exhaust port and result in valve, piston, and/or cylinder wall damage
I think I've heard of that happening on the Altimas maybe? Debris is sucked back in and fubars the motor. I'll keep that info to myself so I don't freak out the wife. LOL.

bati

Postby bati » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 am

I had a problem with the P0430 on Path so I took my suv to get the cats inspected to a shop he said that they were both good. He suggested to buy a 02 spacer to get rid of the problem. I bought the 02 spacers online and installed them about a month ago and I haven't gotten the P0430 yet I've driven the path for about 2k miles so far so good. The mileage is the same I haven't loss any mpg after the spacer install.

Driver side.

Passenger side.

Good Luck!

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Interesting. So what exactly is the reason for the spacers? I mean, i know it's to stop the code but how does that make a difference?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 pm

He meant O2 sensors not spacers. They can go bad after a period of time. The P0430 code simply means that the reading from an O2 sensor is not within spec. This usually means one or more of the O2 sensors are bad. In the case of the Pathfinder, it seems that the cats typically go bad before the O2 sensors.

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm

deermjd wrote:He meant O2 sensors not spacers. They can go bad after a period of time. The P0430 code simply means that the reading from an O2 sensor is not within spec. This usually means one or more of the O2 sensors are bad. In the case of the Pathfinder, it seems that the cats typically go bad before the O2 sensors.
SENSOR, not SPACER makes sense. I was a bit confused. So how do I know if it's the sensor or the cats? Have a muff shop look and tell me if the cats are bad and go from there I guess?

bati

Postby bati » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:55 pm

daxnizmo wrote:
deermjd wrote:He meant O2 sensors not spacers. They can go bad after a period of time. The P0430 code simply means that the reading from an O2 sensor is not within spec. This usually means one or more of the O2 sensors are bad. In the case of the Pathfinder, it seems that the cats typically go bad before the O2 sensors.
SENSOR, not SPACER makes sense. I was a bit confused. So how do I know if it's the sensor or the cats? Have a muff shop look and tell me if the cats are bad and go from there I guess?
from my understanding was that P0430 meant I had a bad cat so had my cats checked at muffler/cat shop both of my cats were in good condition. the guy at the shop said more than likely I had a bad 02 sensor he recommended that I get an 02 spacer.

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:00 pm

bati wrote:
daxnizmo wrote:
from my understanding was that P0430 meant I had a bad cat so had my cats checked at muffler/cat shop both of my cats were in good condition. the guy at the shop said more than likely I had a bad 02 sensor he recommended that I get an 02 spacer.
HHmmm, I've never heard of a 02 spacer myself. that's why I was/am confused.

Who's on first? ;) LOL.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”