replacing a battery terminal

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mc01ta

replacing a battery terminal

Postby mc01ta » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Been doing lots of maintenance last few days and probably replacing the battery on my 07' as it still on oem battery. I popped open my hood and saw a strange setup for the battery I'm not used to. There is multiple fuses at the post and the terminal doesn't look like a traditional post I've seen on every car I've owned. I am the original owner and this is a 2007 pathfinder.

Those of you who have replaced your positive battery terminal what did you go with? Anything special I should know with putting a new one in? Stupid question but these non-american cars seem to UBS everything in different places I'm used to seeing in an engine bay along with interesting features such ad multiple fuses at a battery

mc01ta

Postby mc01ta » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Sorry for the typos, I'm typing from my phone and auto-fill sucks!

mc01ta

Postby mc01ta » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:10 am

Someone has to have replaced their stock oem battery, little help please

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 am

Its the same setup I've seen on every Nissan I've ever owned. A 10mm wrench will loosen the clamp, pull the terminal off and voila!

t

mc01ta

Postby mc01ta » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 am

Any special terminal needed? It doesn't look like a normal terminal

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 am

Are you sure you need to replace the battery terminal? Just give it a good cleaning and you should be fine. That's all I do every time I replace a battery.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

you dont need to replace if nothing is wrong. If the blue fuzz ate it up, you can replace just the terminal clamp end. Unbolt the 12mm under the cap, I think it's like $10 with a new nut. Use dielectric grease to prevent the issue again.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 am

Tech wrote:you dont need to replace if nothing is wrong. If the blue fuzz ate it up, you can replace just the terminal clamp end. Unbolt the 12mm under the cap, I think it's like $10 with a new nut. Use dielectric grease to prevent the issue again.
If you don't wanna grease it up, flush it with hot water when the powder comes back. Don't bother with baking soda or spray on battery terminal cleaner, that stuff just makes a mess.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 am

Npath wrote:
Tech wrote:you dont need to replace if nothing is wrong. If the blue fuzz ate it up, you can replace just the terminal clamp end. Unbolt the 12mm under the cap, I think it's like $10 with a new nut. Use dielectric grease to prevent the issue again.
If you don't wanna grease it up, flush it with hot water when the powder comes back. Don't bother with baking soda or spray on battery terminal cleaner, that stuff just makes a mess.
Agreed. The baking soda method is the lazy man method that only covers the problem, not fix it.

dawgn86

Re: replacing a,battery terminal

Postby dawgn86 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm

mc01ta wrote:Been doing lots of maintenance last few days and probably replacing the battery on my 07' as it still on oem battery. I popped open my hood and saw a strange setup for the battery I'm not used to. There is multiple fuses at the post and the terminal doesn't look like a traditional post I've seen on every car I've owned. I am the original owner and this is a 2007 pathfinder.

Those of you who have replaced your positive battery terminal what did you go with? Anything special I should know with putting a new one in? Stupid question but these non-american cars seem to UBS everything in different places I'm used to seeing in an engine bay along with interesting features such ad multiple fuses at a battery
I replaced my positive last weekend. I bought one from Autozone; they came in a packet of two..they are labeled as marine terminals and come with a wingnut, but I used the nut off the second one. I had to drill out the opening on the cable end a bit, but it works fine.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”