MagnaFlow exhaust-custom system

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bpk01

Re: latest muffler/exhaust choices

Postby bpk01 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:52 am

FindyourPath wrote:i am ready to put a exhaust on my 2008 SE 4.0 and eventually an intake mod (K&N or the V??something)

i would like a nice growl when i step on it. however i do NOT want that annoying drone at typical cruising RPMs. i have been told that the stock pipe set up is pretty good.

what is the latest thinking based on all the info?

great forum!!
I loved my magnaflow with my v6 4runner and am going to put it on the path just like OP

millwieller

custom magnaflow

Postby millwieller » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:29 pm

After browsing through this topic I decided to follow the crowd and do the dual 2 1/4 in, single 2 1/2 out magnaflow muffler, replacing the y-pipe. Worried about drone (and to save a few bucks), I had the guy leave the factory resonator on. Not too bad, took an hour, paid about 150 for it.

I had the wife drive home so I could listen to it and I can't believe how ricey it sounds! While cruising I couldn't hear it over the road noise but when she would accelerate it sounded horrible, especially at WOT! Something tells me there's something wrong with my setup since you guys are thrilled with yours.... Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Can you try to define "ricey" for us? For me that means an uncorked 4-banger with no tone sounding like an angry lawn mower, but everybody has their own style...

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:02 pm

To me ricey is a coffee/fart can exhaust on a civic....

millwieller

Postby millwieller » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:11 pm

That pretty much covers it, it sounds like my big V6 is a 4-banger... I drove it after posting, and from the driver's seat, it's a little better but not much. At WOT, the sound of the engine (mostly from the CAI) still overpowers the exhaust. Under mild acceleration (2k-3k) is when it's loudest, but it sounds like I'm driving a turbo civic. Once the wind dies down I'll go outside and try to get a video.

millwieller

Postby millwieller » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Just shot this real quick while there was a lull in the wind... Doesn't sound too bad at startup, but when it revs, it sounds very raspy IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accwfg4K1Xs

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just me, because the guy at the muffler shop said he liked the sound, and my wife likes it... Like RacerZX said, everyone has their own style

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 pm

maybe you guys installing different flowmaster mufflers in - that is why different review on sound levels? I was looking into flowmaster mufflers as part of the customer system and it seems there are bunch of models to choose from - from quiet muffler to plain screamers - depending on what you want to have. Must be the same thing for magnaflows as well?
The best sounding muffler for these 4.0 engines are Bassani mufflers, IMHO. They have a very subtle growl with no raspiness to it. Bassani used to make exhaust systems for Frontiers, but stopped back in 09, I believe. They still sell the mufflers however and i was thinking about picking up a Bassani muffler and taking it to the exhaust shop to have the fab the system using a Bassani muffler with new Y-pipe and levaing the stock resonator in place for good measure. The only issue is that Bassani only hase mufflers with 1-in and 1-out. I guess it could work, as the stock set up is also, 1-in and 1-out... Another option would be to go with Magnaflow 50series muffler (the quietest one) and custom system. That one is relatively quiet, but still has too much raspiness to my taste. Decision, decisions....

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I like SpinTech because it removes low end drone and lets the high frequency rasp through. The Gibson I used to have was the opposite, no sound at WOT and painful bassy low droning when cruising. No idea where the others fit in this spectrum...

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

For those with dronning issues, check out this thread, it is a very interesting read: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51565 Looks like new Dynomax VT muffler offers the best of both worlds - quiet when coasting and louder after you push it past 3K RPM. Here is the manufacturer site: http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt
I'm considering going this route as well.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:17 pm

So I decided to start messing with the exhaust system on my 2010 Path a little bit. The goal is to replace the restrictive stock Y-pipe, install the quietest free flowing muffler possible, and being able to only hear the exhaust when you punch it. No drone or excessive noise during normal cruizing will be acceptable.
I have ordered Dynomax VT muffler (#17959) that eliminates drone due to a variable valve that opens up when you hammer the gas, creating better flow and better sound. During normal driving it sounds stock. Looks like its the best of the both worlds - its free flowing and quiet when you don't push it and best thing - no drone noise! One minus is that these muffles don't come in 2-in/1-out, which would have been perfect for our set up. I got the same in/out configuration as the stock muffler and will have to ask the shop to install a new better flowing Y-pipe. I plan to keep the piping going over the rear axle stock. Essentially it is a straight-through pipe with a resonator, so there is no major benefit in replacing that piece.
I will keep you guys updated when its all done, hopefully with some pictures/sound clips.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Ok, quick update - I had my 4.0+ VT muffler installed with a custom y-pipe. I kept stock over the rear axle pipe with OEM resonator. The muffler works as advertized - sound is just like stock at idle, just a little deeper and a tad loouder with a little growl under 2K RPM. Over 2K RPM it really comes to life and you can really hear it, even at marginal throttle input as the gases flowing open up the valve inside the muffler. Much louder at WOT and the sound is very pronounced past 70MPH., but anywhere up until 70 MPH is relatively quiet. No drone issues, unless you're going 80 MPH, then you just hear the muffler hum, but its not to the point where it is annoying. Overall not bad at all, but I think I would like it a little bit quieter around 2-2.5K RPM. I will give it a try for a little while and will start looking into a V8 LE muffler as my next option. V8 muffler looks like it will bolt right up and since its 2-in/1-out configuration, there should be no problems with restricting the flow, especially from 4.0 engine.
Here are some pics from the install. Both cats dump into custom y-pipe:
Dynomax VT is 4 inches shorter that stock muffler and is placed towards the back of the truck: Image
Muffer goes into stock tailpipe that retains stock resonator: Image

srquill

Postby srquill » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 pm

mtbpath wrote: muffler is 22" long. 2.25 dual inlet/2.5 outout. 5x11 oval. satin stainless universal muffler.
I had a chrome tip installed. its a 3" tip. The only stock pipe I left on is the piece before the tip.
hey do you know the part numbers for these? I can't seem to find a magna with dual in/single out

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 pm

For what it is worth, I installed the Magnaflow system on a Jeep XJ 4.0L and am happy with it. Gives a deep throaty sound but definitively audible. Then again, Jeeps aren't known for their sound dampening

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:45 am

srquill wrote: hey do you know the part numbers for these? I can't seem to find a magna with dual in/single out
it's the magnaflow 12580. i'm having mine put on Thursday

as of now, i'm thinking of removing the stock resonator. what do you guys think about this? who has left it on and who has cut it off?

srquill

Postby srquill » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm

not on the rug wrote: it's the magnaflow 12580. i'm having mine put on Thursday
Wow, did not see the little note that says "reservable for custom installation" on the bottom there when I first checked it out. Thanks!

Would a 3" outlet make any difference in sound or performance compared to a 2.5" outlet, like the MangaFlow 12278?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”