4x4parts.com brakes

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Citcope

4x4parts.com brakes

Postby Citcope » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:20 pm

has anyone bough and replaced their rotors and/or pads from them? I need to replace my rotors and pads soon and was thinking about getting the slotted rotors and high performance pads from them.

thanks

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 pm

All I see on 4x4parts.com's website is drilled rotors. I would never ever recommend cheap drilled rotors for a street car, they will cheese grater your pads for little benefit and crack from the holes.

Slotted is much better, they help renew (I.E. wear down :-P ) your pad surfaces and keep hot gas from building up under very heavy continuous breaking, without the cracking issues of drilled rotors.

As for pads, I put Porterfield R4s pads on my old Pathie, they are highly aggressive almost track grade pads, and actually their performance when cold on the pathfinder was bad enough that I was unsatisfied. For my current V8 LE build I'm giving Stillen's Metal Matrix pads a try. The no-name "performance" pads on 4x4parts.com would give me pause...lots of good name brand options out there that should stop better and work at higher temps than OEM (though probably dust more).

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 pm

ok based on what you just said.. is there a brand that you would recommend for rotors? and pads? I'm not looking to go super expensive but i want them to last.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Drilling/Slotting on street cars is mostly about sex appeal, has nothing to do with lasting, and will actually wear out your pads faster. I would stick with OEM, or a quality name brand replacement like Brembo.

OEM from http://www.courtesyparts.com is $91.97 ea for the fronts.

Wow, I'm not finding much decent aftermarket rotors online. EBC seems to make some, though no cheaper than OEM, I can only find Brembo for the rear. Other no-names are half the price of OEM, but do you want to bet your life on it? I literally had a pair of cheap-ass Chinese brake rotors fail (hat separated from disc) on me at Laguna Seca on turn 2 in my race car, it's just not worth it to save a few bucks...

Pads there's lots of options, Hawk, EBC, Stillen, etc...and it's hard to find the opportunities to really test them objectively (kinda like tires or batteries, it's just hard to get enough objective experience to compare them more than anecdotally).

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:01 am

I recently used a set of Wagner front brake rotors and a full set (front and rear) of Akebono Ceramic brake pads that I picked up from Rockauto.com. Akebono makes many of the original equipment pads and shoes for Nissan. Been happy, so far!

Seanw1

Postby Seanw1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

I replace all of my rotors and pads with EBC rotors and Green Stuff pads a few months ago. The stop better than OEM, but do produce a little more brake dust than stock. Well worth what I paid. I ordered them from Summit Racing, along with new Rancho shocks all the way around.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 am

Nice, I'd trust EBC and have heard good things about the Green Stuff pads. Like all performance pads they'll dust more, such is life...

I just put on a set of Metal Matrix pads from Stillen on the original rotors, they're working fantastic.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”