Early 2000 models (Australia)

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

rusty_char

Early 2000 models (Australia)

Postby rusty_char » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 am

Hello

I am in Australia and am looking 2 buy my first pathy

My budget allows for 2001-2003 models

What kind of things should I look out for, r they expensive 2 run and maintain?

Am also trying 2 buy off a used car dealer any advice there

When I get it would also like 2 be able 2 do some off-roading

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 pm

My advise for buying any vehicle is to have a shop or mechanic of your choosing look the car over before you put down any cash! It's a lot easier to pay $50-$80 and know the condition of a vehicle than to pay several thousand and find out you invested in a money pit of problems! A Carfax report can come in handy, as well! As far as off-roading, R50's are "capable," but because of it's unibody chassis, may not be the best choice for some. The WD21 Pathy's of 87-95, R51's of 05-12 and Xterras have a full frame chassis which may be more desirable for serious off-roading. A big issue to look out for on the R50 is the bottom of the front strut towers can rot out. There's currently a recall for this issue. Some of the problems reported on the 01-03 Pathys include power valve screws dropping into the intake manifold, oil consumption issues, bad ignition coils, bad catalytic converters, bad oxygen sensors, bad cam and crank sensors, bad rear suspension link bushings, leaking oil cooler "O" seals... The pre-2001 R50 with the VG33E engine had a lot less power than the VQ35DE, but the engine was a lot less problematic. IMO, the WD21 Pathy or an Xterrs is a much better off-road choice.

Colin

which path

Postby Colin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 pm

my wife bought the r50. it suits our purpose of towing the camper trailer around off road. we have done the old telegraph track with no probs. its quick on fraser isl. no probs mech. just replaced the tyres with BFG's as dealer ones were sliding everywhere. enjoy

rusty_char

Postby rusty_char » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for your replies. I should have been a bit clearer the car will be used as a family car city travelling mostly but when (if) we get a chance 2 get off road would like it 2 be capable.

Was the recall a u.s.a thing only? That's what my google search showed. Cause I enquirerd 2 a dealer about a 2003 model and put 2 him the rust question and he was All --- rust what rust these vehicles dont get rust

Colin

rust

Postby Colin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

All vechiles get rust it just depends on how well u clean them afterwards especially after sand/salt trips. we put a electronic rust inhibitor on car and no signs yet. easy way to clean underneath is to park on top of your sprinkler and turn it on.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”