2000 Pathinder LS 6-cyl. 2WD

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Dassquatch

2000 Pathinder LS 6-cyl. 2WD

Postby Dassquatch » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:30 pm

So, the thing has trouble starting.... Sometimes.

It'll turn over, but won't run. After several attempts, she'll fire up. It's intermittent, and therefore a bit of a PITA.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Is it a common problem?

And I'm looking for a trail to follow, so any information, no matter how basic, would be greatly appreciated.

-Jason

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:47 pm

If it's a 2000, then you should have the VG33E. First thing to figure out if it is not starting due to a lack of fuel or lack of ignition. Assuming you've already checked to make sure the plugs/wires/cap & rotor are in good condition, using a timing light to check for spark when the "no start" occurs can be a handy tool (install the light and point it towards you as you attempt to start. If there's spark, you'll see the light flash). If you have spark during the incidents of no start, I would do a fuel pressure and leakdown test. I have seen fuel injectors leakdown and cause these engines to flood and cause difficult but intermittent no starts (not a common problem, but happens to some).

slownlow43

Postby slownlow43 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm

One simple quick test you can do is turn the ignition on, but do not turn it over, and listen for the fuel pump to prime. With everything turned down/off you should be able to easily hear it. If it tries to fire it sounds like more of a fuel issue to me, like smj999smj suggested.

When the crank/cam (? not exactly sure which one it is) position sensor originally failed on my 98 Q (same drivetrain) it exhibited the same symptoms. The distributor had to be replaced to fix the issue. Don't buy a replacement sensor, it's mounted inside the distributor. Checking for spark will confirm or deny that this could be your issue. Hope this helps.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”