Question For those who have had rock sliders installed on th

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:30 am

my guess is you could cut and cap some appropriately size pvc pipe for your container/mold...pbby be a PITA, w/ substantial room for error, but could be done. as for the material, i have in the past used a compound to mold connections for underwater cables...we used these cables in the marine environment, so the material had to be durable. pretty certain it was 3M compound, black when mixed, came in a two part bag. will see if i can dig up some more info for you.

on a similar/another note: while i can't wait to get rid of my 'steps', i do make use of them when securing loads on the rack...anybody have an idea of which sliders might serve double duty? looked as if the shrockworks might offer a little more to stand on...any thoughts from those of you who might have seen both?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:27 pm

blink32 wrote:Hrmm, like the Tool-Dip stuff where you dip the handles in some sort of latex muck and it dries to a rubber finish? I haven't seen anything specifically that would leave any texture persay, but there's that tool dip stuff. You could use a spray can of the rubberized undercoating. Scuff the bars and that would yield a grippy surface also. Although I don't know for how long.
That's the stuff. I had used a goopy asphault-type spray in wheel wells before, so I guess that would work. I just wanted to get something on them that will take a bit more abuse than just a layer of paint.

I just went out and checked, and the bar is connected to the frame via 2 mounts, with 4 bolts in all. There are also 4 bolts that connect to the body.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:32 pm

guinnessjim wrote:my guess is you could cut and cap some appropriately size pvc pipe for your container/mold...pbby be a PITA, w/ substantial room for error, but could be done. as for the material, i have in the past used a compound to mold connections for underwater cables...we used these cables in the marine environment, so the material had to be durable. pretty certain it was 3M compound, black when mixed, came in a two part bag. will see if i can dig up some more info for you.
That would be great.
on a similar/another note: while i can't wait to get rid of my 'steps', i do make use of them when securing loads on the rack...anybody have an idea of which sliders might serve double duty? looked as if the shrockworks might offer a little more to stand on...any thoughts from those of you who might have seen both?
When I stand on mine, I open the doors. I have the heel of my foot on the slider & my toes on the door sill. I deal with my kayaks all summer & haven't had a problem. I typically just stand on the tires, but there are a few straps up front that I have no choice but to use the slider as a step.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:02 pm

I know I've been excused, but the only reason I welded mine was because the holes in the rear didn't line up where they were supposed to, and I didn't want to have only one bolt connecting the rear. I think the Shrocks stick out more than the Rocky Roads, I use mine as a step to get to the rack, I put 3M tape on the top 'cause I kept slipping off (shins), but I can full on stand on them and they don't compromise clearance at all.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:00 am

That's good to know for sure.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”