AirRaid quickfit installed

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

AirRaid quickfit installed

Postby doctahjones » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:20 pm

it's about damn time that my v8 sounded like a v8! i love the growl i get from the engine bay now. i wish the tone was a little higher though.

real easy install, just follow the directions they include

this bolt (circled) was a serious PITA for me. it's the one that's towards the front of the vehicle. if i had a ratcheting wrench it would have been easier since there's no regular socket access to this one.

so you remove the whole airbox just so you can take off the body->intake box tube. i ended up breaking one of the tabs that hold it in on the intake box on accident.

anyone know what this tube is for? it was attached to the airbox on the rear side but wasn't plugged into anything. i'm thinking it's the transfer case breather? i didn't follow it all the way down the engine since it was dark

installed! this pic doesn't have the weatherstripping that you outline the top of the heatshield with. if you don't have that on, the hood closes just fine. however if you do put it on you'll have to trim/cut the rubber so the hood will close. i also tried to cut a groove into the hood flame arrestor (thanks smj999smj) to help it fit (not pictured). results we negligible.
Last edited by doctahjones on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Looks good! FYI, that "hood fabric" is called the "flame arrestor."

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:33 am

Looks good. Did you also have to cut down the heat shield so it wouldn't hit the hood? I think it was Gefremont who also installed this and had to cut the heat shield down to fit correctly.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 am

for mine, the heatshield itself fit and you could close the hood just fine.

however they provide this rubber weatherstripping stuff that fits on the top of the heatshield, and with that installed the hood won't close. i trimmed it down quite a bit and the hood closes, but the drivers side of the hood is up a little. i had tried to make some grooves in the flame arrestor to see if that would help it seat in there over the next few days. otherwise i'll need to do some more trimming.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 am

That rubber tube you were asking about is your vent line for the front differential.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:41 am

I've noticed that the air inlet is no longer attaced to the wheel well, so it's not drawing cooler air from the outside. Is that the case, or your picture doesn't show the completed install?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 am

rragpaoa wrote:I've noticed that the air inlet is no longer attaced to the wheel well, so it's not drawing cooler air from the outside. Is that the case, or your picture doesn't show the completed install?

per the instructions it is complete. they have you remove the inlet. while it's not 100% air from the outside, i'm sure it's still pulling some from the gaping hole left above the wheel well. also (while in motion) air is forced through the grill and i imagine some makes its way around the radiator and through the triangle hole in the front of the box.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

here's my mpg report after installation. keep in mind this also includes a ~2in suspension lift, but still running stock tires.

highway: before i could get up to ~20mpg if i set cruise on 65mph. after i get 24-25mpg using cruise and 65mph. i've only done one test so far though, and it was after a few tanks of 91/93 octane (can't remember exactly which, some stores around here only have 91, some have 93).

city: i can't seem to get a good test yet, because there's somewhat of a design flaw. i can't keep my foot out of the accelerator because i keep wanting to hear that nice growl at about 3k rpm. :) that being said, even with me being harder on it i'm getting 13-14mpg. before i would get ~12mpg if i was hot doggin a little more than usual.

other than that i can't -really- tell a difference in performance. it does -seem- (but could just be my mind thinking it is) slightly more responsive off the line or rolling 5-10mph. however after about 4500rpm it's just as wheezy and out of breath as it used to be.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”