Radiator R&R

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Radiator R&R

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 25, 2012 11:52 am

I recently replaced my radiator with an aftermarket unit while I was working on my timing chain. All I can say is what a pain in the butt! For those that haven't done one, the radiator has two side brackets mounted on it which also have the radiator mounting pegs. The bottom of the bracket have the locating holes for not only the rad, but also the condensor. I removed the radiator with the brackets on and it was a major pain trying to get it up while getting hung up on the AC lines and trying to not damage the condensor. Installing it, I decided to mount only the right side bracket to the rad before installing it and I put the left bracket in the vehicle. After I got the radiator down into the engine compartment, I then wrestled to get the left bracket on the radiator. It was easier and potentially less damaging then removing it! reading the R&R instructions on ALLDATA doesn't really help much. So, my question is: "Has anyone found an easier way to replace the radiator?"

nikko7mge

Postby nikko7mge » Mon May 28, 2012 7:14 am

I just did the same thing yesterday. I tied the condenser to the grill with shoe string, loosened the bottom bolts and removed the radiator and brackets together. It went back in with the brackets attached. I had to lift the condenser up a little to get the pegs back into the bracket. The hardest radiator I've ever worked with.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”