Engine Missing

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Stevekdx

Engine Missing

Postby Stevekdx » Thu May 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi, I have a 1999 Pathfinder 6 cyl 4WD manual transmission. I only drive it occasionally and sometimes it sits for a week or two before I drive it. Lately it's developed a significant engine miss. It runs fine when it's cold, but after about 10 minutes the miss starts, particularly when under a load.

It has recently had new NGK plugs, wires and distributor cap installed. My mechanic checked those and said they were fine. He said most likely it is the distributor. Suspecting an ethanol problem because of the use, I had the fuel injectors cleaned but it's still missing.

I hate to spend the bucks on a new distributor without knowing for sure. Apparently my mechanic isn't too sharp. Any ideas? Is there a way I can test the distributor first?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 25, 2012 2:18 am

Without an oscilloscope, it's hard to tell. An oscilloscope lets one view the spark patterns of the individual cylindars and, if one knows how to read them, can tell if the ignition system is operating as it should...as well as a number of other things.

Stevekdx

Postby Stevekdx » Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm

Went ahead and replaced the distributor and it's running fine now! I had a moment of panic because it wouldn't start at first, but it turns out one of the wire connectors wasn't plugged in good.

Wondering if I should buy a timing light and check the timing. I didn't think that was really necessary these days, but there is adjustment on the distributor. I just tried to place the new one exactly where the old one was.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, 'these days,' adjusting the timing isn't possible on the majority of vehicles made...but your Pathy was made over a decade ago and timing is adjustable. It's possible to get reasonably close, but you can't tell if the timing is exact or not without a timing light. Spec is 15 degrees (+/-2) BTDC.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”