OME Suspension Upgrade FINISHED

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Ha-ha, Ive noticed that since I installed the suspension on Friday my Pathfinder has become a Path/Xterra magnet. People will literally park further away so they park right next to me to compare rides, which I consider pretty sweet.
GJ you win, your pic's bacground Roshambo's mine any you have first wack.
I'll try to take some photos out in Salmon River State Forrest Friday. I'm scheduled to have all 4 corners tweeked at Strong's Automotive in CT tomorrow AM.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:19 am

Greybrick wrote: Steve as you started with an OR suspension and I see that you got some additional body height /wheel clearance what OME spring stiffness did you install, ie: light, medium or heavy
Mediums all the way around.
and did you see an improvement from stock OR suspension in handling or do you experience less offroad pothole pounding transfered to the cabin?
I honestly haven't given it a proper off road workout yet. My first try resulted in finding out they had been installed incorrectly. But, I can say that the rear doesn't bottom out at all driving over the same roads, dips, RR tracks, etc, like it did with the stock suspension. It's a little firmer since I put on the new tires, but I also have them aired up to 45psi. I'm pretty positive I'll be lowering that when driving off road, hence my search for a good 12v compressor.

I know a few of us have written how wonderful it is compared to stock, and it really is. No matter how you look at it, it is a huge improvement.
Before installing the OME kit have any looked at replacing the front struts /springs with Nissan heavier duty 08V8 front struts /springs and the rear springs with OR or 08V8, or does some additional spring travel or height of the OME setup add something to the mix. Thanks.
Pre-2008, the OR model had the same exact springs as the rest of the models. The only difference being the Rancho shocks. I toyed with the idea of maybe getting the Bilstein from the '08 OR, but I just didn't want to go with anything OEM or Made For OEM. Considering Nissan's prices for parts, buying the OME setup would probably be cheaper than going through Nissan for OEM parts.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:32 pm

Steve, where did you get your OME installed and what did they do about the allignment? I just got mine done today but they were only able to get the rear toe 1degree of the tolerated spec.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks Steve, I'm certainly looking at OME as a viable solution, moreso because I respect the considered decisions that you fellows have made although the long term results of respringing your rides with heavier stuff can't really be seen yet.

This might be read as some old school bs but here's a personal detail from the 70's. I had a new fresh out of the box 1975 3/4 ton GMC pickup truck with a 460 engine that was causing me some problems on offroad trails when I was in my gofast period, ...the truck was bottoming out on offroad dips and chuck holes, so I had the dealership install 1 ton front coil springs. These were direct drop in same size original equipment replacements and for the first few months me and my pickup could do stupendous speeds down any offroad oilfield trail...even cornering on highways felt like a race truck. :D

Problem was that all that energy went somewhere else and pretty much tore up my whole front suspension, steering knuckles, mount rubbers, shocks, even the arms got screwed up.

I'm talking like rally speeds like we used to get into, 100+ mph down any old gravel road...I'm pretty sure that you guys will keep your speeds safe with these OME mods so that it won't be a problem. 8)

Haha, I traded that 3/4 ton in for top dollar as there wasn't a ding nor a smile on her, but about 2 months later a salesman from the dealership caught me on the street and tried to berate me for turning in a worn out truck. :lol:

c'est la vie sales dudes. :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:32 am

Fofiddy wrote:Steve, where did you get your OME installed and what did they do about the allignment? I just got mine done today but they were only able to get the rear toe 1degree of the tolerated spec.
I had mine installed at a local 4x4 shop. Jack-It or something like that. They sent it out for alignment, but I'm not sure where.

I still havent' had the chance to take mine in since I got the new tires on because I've been too damned busy at work. I doubt it is hurting anything. I'm just not used to the whole alignment thing because I've never owned a vehicle that required it.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:54 am

Greybrick wrote:Thanks Steve, I'm certainly looking at OME as a viable solution, moreso because I respect the considered decisions that you fellows have made although the long term results of respringing your rides with heavier stuff can't really be seen yet.
I have no qualms about it. While the springs aren't really that much heavier than OEM, they are stiffer. I'm planning on giving the suspension a full workout when I head down to Death Valley in a couple of weeks.
This might be read as some old school bs but here's a personal detail from the 70's. I had a new fresh out of the box 1975 3/4 ton GMC pickup truck with a 460 engine
You just dated yourself. Thanks, I don't feel so old now. Sounds like you might be a tad older than my sister, who turns 48 this Sunday. I was just a kid in the 70's, so all I really remember are the bell bottoms & disco themed TV shows. :wink:
that was causing me some problems on offroad trails when I was in my gofast period, ...the truck was bottoming out on offroad dips and chuck holes, so I had the dealership install 1 ton front coil springs. These were direct drop in same size original equipment replacements and for the first few months me and my pickup could do stupendous speeds down any offroad oilfield trail...even cornering on highways felt like a race truck. :D

Problem was that all that energy went somewhere else and pretty much tore up my whole front suspension, steering knuckles, mount rubbers, shocks, even the arms got screwed up.

I had a number of thoughts that ran through my mind before I purchased the OME suspension, including what you mentioned. I actually think the OME is better for the PF than the stock suspension. Whenever I hit a bump of any kind, or ran into a situation where the suspension would flex, it always seemed like it moved far too much. In other words, I think the stock suspension was allowing more adverse movement than the OME. Even though the OME, when installed, creates a bit more of an angle to begin with, it doesn't bounce around/flex as much as the stock suspension did. I truly feel that the OME will add bonus points to component longevity when compared to the OEM. My only concern at this point is how long the shocks will last & if I should pick up 4 more in the next year or so to have on hand. Since it isn't an off the shelf part by any means, if one were to break or get mucked up, it wouldn't be a same day fix.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:14 pm

OK so it's official The alignment is still significantly out of whack. It appears that being +1 degree out of the spec range of toe is enought to create Tire squeal and premature intervention of VDC (especially in the case of on/off-ramps). As I drive on the edge of the VDC more often than I should and know when it would and should kick off it's a little creepy. Speeds over 65 are now approached with extreme caution and only in dry weather as it feels a little like being blown around.

As my Path has never been in an accident and suffered no damage from the one time I jumped a snowbank I'm a little irked by this. So I shot a quick email out to ARBUSA asking if they had a new alignment spec or different alignment tolerances and where I could take the Path go get that done properly. As my kit came with no instructions or paperwork what-so-ever the install was a lil' trial and error (using a pumb-bob to line the coilover with the top mounting plate). Regardless I'll will post my findings.

Blink I know you said you didn't notice a big difference on yours, but since I cover the total milage you've put on your Path so far in 6 months I might be a little more critical :lol: . I think there will be alot more OME converts as people come closer to their 50k marks and people read how much the ride truly improves with these Pogos the occurances of VDC issues due to mis-alignment are going to increase as well. I only wonder if the alignment/specs deserve their own topic or once this is all ironed out there should be a properly written OME sticky.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:07 am

I totally understand. While I don't drive often, when I do drive I traverse everything from dry, smooth straight line asphalt to 3+ inch snow on curvy roads and everything in-between. The only adverse affect I've experienced are hitting raised bumps on the highways that will tend to bounce me one way or the other. But have never had any issues with tire scrub, vdc, etc. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:24 am

Blink what speeds would you say your Highway driving tops out at? I def feel a little reditection doing high speed straight line stuff over less than smooth surfaces and get pulled to the shoulder when hitting puddles at reasonably higher speeds. I've been putting that on the alignment as well. I'll see what ARB has to say about it but I don't think I should have to slot my control arms to hit designated toe and camber specs.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 am

Fo,

I don't typically drive over 90mph, but usually hit somewhere between 80-90 on the freeways. Haven't noticed any alignment type problems at all post OME. I do remember that the 4x4 shop was impressed with how easy it was to adjust the alignment though. He took it over to the alignment place and watched & waited for it to be done, taking a few pictures as well.

I'm taking it in hopefully this Wednesday for an alignment check at a different shop, so I'll let you know what they say about the whole thing as well.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Hmm, you fellows that installed OME suspensions might want to cantact Mike at ARB 4x4 Accessories, toll Free: (866) 293-9078. He tells me that ARB have not been recommending these for PF installation as a couple of southern dealers or installers told ARB that they don't fit the North American PF. :shock:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Greybrick wrote:Hmm, you fellows that installed OME suspensions might want to cantact Mike at ARB 4x4 Accessories, toll Free: (866) 293-9078. He tells me that ARB have not been recommending these for PF installation as a couple of southern dealers or installers told ARB that they don't fit the North American PF. :shock:
Southerners! From everything I've seen published from ARB, along with all the great feedback on the PCOA forum, these are definitely made for the right vehicle. The R51 springs & shocks are the same in Oz as they are here, according to Nissan Australia & ARB.

What's interesting is that there are at least 2 other similar suspension kits from other mfrs. in Australia. One of them is supposedly closer to a 3" lift, yet those who have it don't seem to have any issues. Then again, maybe they don't worry about alignments in Oz, seeing as how most of their roads are still unpaved.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Greybrick wrote:Hmm, you fellows that installed OME suspensions might want to cantact Mike at ARB 4x4 Accessories, toll Free: (866) 293-9078. He tells me that ARB have not been recommending these for PF installation as a couple of southern dealers or installers told ARB that they don't fit the North American PF. :shock:
From everything I've seen published from ARB, along with all the great feedback on the PCOA forum, these are definitely made for the right vehicle. The R51 springs & shocks are the same in Oz as they are here, according to Nissan Australia & ARB.
I believe you when you say that they fit, but if the US supplier says they don't what implication does that have for your vehicle insurance.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Greybrick wrote:
NVSteve wrote:
From everything I've seen published from ARB, along with all the great feedback on the PCOA forum, these are definitely made for the right vehicle. The R51 springs & shocks are the same in Oz as they are here, according to Nissan Australia & ARB.
I believe you when you say that they fit, but if the US supplier says they don't what implication does that have for your vehicle insurance.

I was just responding to what you originally posted. To me, it sounds like the US supplier, who is probably in the dark about products from a company abroad, is going by what a couple of dealers and/or installers have told him. These installers/dealers say that the suspension doesn't "fit." Did he by any chance elaborate on that? All of the great install posts on this forum indicate that it does, in fact, fit just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if these southerners were having a hard time with the springs because they didn't have the proper equipment. I simply don't believe the suspension is wrong in any way, shape or form.

I've dealt with US suppliers/lackeys before. They are usually the most ill-informed in the food chain, and it isn't limited to any specific product category or mfr. And it seems incredibly silly that the US supplier would start avoiding this kit for the PF on the word of a couple of dealers. You'd think he would contact ARB (corporate in Australia) for a definitive answer. I'm going to shoot a note to ARB Australia about all of this, so hopefully they'll respond.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:41 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Greybrick wrote:
NVSteve wrote:From everything I've seen published from ARB, along with all the great feedback on the PCOA forum, these are definitely made for the right vehicle. The R51 springs & shocks are the same in Oz as they are here, according to Nissan Australia & ARB.

I was just responding to what you originally posted. To me, it sounds like the US supplier, who is probably in the dark about products from a company abroad, is going by what a couple of dealers and/or installers have told him. These installers/dealers say that the suspension doesn't "fit." Did he by any chance elaborate on that? All of the great install posts on this forum indicate that it does, in fact, fit just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if these southerners were having a hard time with the springs because they didn't have the proper equipment. I simply don't believe the suspension is wrong in any way, shape or form.

I've dealt with US suppliers/lackeys before. They are usually the most ill-informed in the food chain, and it isn't limited to any specific product category or mfr. And it seems incredibly silly that the US supplier would start avoiding this kit for the PF on the word of a couple of dealers. You'd think he would contact ARB (corporate in Australia) for a definitive answer. I'm going to shoot a note to ARB Australia about all of this, so hopefully they'll respond.
Sad to say I think Brick is right on this one. After talking to ARBUSA Tech Support about my alignment issues they asked if I was using coil spacers and expressed concern for my CV joints.
According to their specs the lift should only give a 30mm (1.2") lift up front and to the and 40mm (1.6") to the rear. It's pretty clear folks on this board are getting nearly two and a half inches in the rear. Anyone ever take a good hard look at the rear end of the Euro Path's can tell they sit a bit higher in the rear to start with and have a different rear diff. Look at Blinks #s:
I took my new measurements 3 times to ensure repetitive results.
New height numbers:

Drivers Front 37 1/4" for a realized lift of 1 13/16"

Pax Front 36 15/16" for a realized lift of 1 13/16"

Drivers Rear 37 7/16" for a realized lift of 2 7/16"

Pax Rear 37 1/2" for a realized lift of 2 7/16"

Hitch 22 3/4" for a realized lift of 3 1/8"
I'm cool with the front and don't see too much risk but I'm under the impression the rear springs are too tall and it's something that needs to be addressed. I'm currently working with ARB Tech support and the AUS OME Engineering team to get a definitive answer on it. Trust me I'm on it. Pending their final judgment the following is my hypothetical but more than probable thoughts on the matter and why:

I went to an alignment place that has been around for over 65 years that specializes in alignments and work on modified vehicles. They were telling me in order to get the rear toe to spec it would require slotting the rear lower link. I didn't ask for just a 4 wheel thrust I asked for a full on camber, caster and toe adjustments on all 4 corners. I will attest that this is without a doubt a superior ride and handling package and it would be nothing short of a travesty to go back to stock pogos. But at the same time I know my path with the intimacy that only 50,000miles of hard driving will give you. I will admit that something just aint Kosher about the rear end. It becomes very evident to me at speeds over 60. The front caster being off I can live with but the rear toe being out in with cam adjusters at their max coupled with the out of spec (according to ARB) realized rear lift height is an obvious indication sum-tins wong. I just hope we can work with ARB on getting a North American rear spring instead of putting back that garbage Nissan calls a rear spring.

Those of you with the OME's installed if you would care to post how many miles you've put on since the installation I'd greatly appreciate it:

Holes in my theory are welcome.

Blink, you might want to humor me and change the topic to:
OME Upgrade: TBC

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”