Rear axle LSD or not?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

lucasnissan

Rear axle LSD or not?

Postby lucasnissan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm

I have recently bought a 2000 XE 4X4 Auto. I am going to change the rear diff fluid. I have the original window sticker and I see no listing for the LSD option and also being a base XE the truck would most likely would not have LSD. I guess I could spin the wheels in dirt or raise the rear axle up and hand spin the wheels. I read somewhere on the forum that it says use LSD fluid on diff if it is LSD. Any better thoughts out there?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm

You have an H233B rear and standard as well as LSD was available on the XE that year. Easiest way of determining whether it's an LSD or night is to jack up the wheels and turn them by hand. If the wheels rotate opposite directions, it's standard; if wheels rotate in same direction, it's LSD. As far as the gear oil, you can safely use a gear oil approved for LSD in a standard carrier and most synthetic gear oils are LSD approved and would be a good choice. Walmart's Syntech full synthetic 75W90 gear oil and Mobil One's synthetic gear oil are both good choices that are widely available and reasonably priced. Nissan warranty used to require Pennzoil LSD approved gear oil, so that's another option. API GL-5 75W90 or 80W90 are both acceptable for the majority of climates.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”