CAI or something else? 1998

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Livin_AZ_Style!!

CAI or something else? 1998

Postby Livin_AZ_Style!! » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 pm

I JUST bought my pathy about a week ago and well. I really wanna work on it and make it my rig. Is there any way i can increase mileage with a CAI or should i do something else? btw, i'm learning about vehicles in general so bare with me. any suggestions would be great.

newpath

Postby newpath » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm

It should increase mpg just because the air flows better/easier, and it's cooler, hence the name "cold air intake". However, it won't be anything big. I would say 3 at the most, if you don't drive like a crazy person. I'm sort of learning myself on things. I know opening up your exhaust can increase mpg too. That is a bit more pricey, and probably would achieve about the same numbers though. I plan on getting a new exhaust kit this summer. Unfortunately you have to have a custom one made because no one makes it for our model. As far as I know, other than keeping up on maintenance, you really can't do too much to increase your mpg unless you change your driving habits if you drive really fast, and accelerate fast.

Livin_AZ_Style!!

Postby Livin_AZ_Style!! » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:25 pm

ok cool. Thanks a lot. So. Best hing to do is to add the CAI and a new exhaust kit would be overall best. That's great to know. :D If i find the money, then i'll be able to do this. I'll let you all know how it feels after.

Livin_AZ_Style!!

Postby Livin_AZ_Style!! » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:05 pm

actually, do you know any CAI systems? i can't seem to find any for a 98' Pathy.

newpath

Postby newpath » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Mine is from K&N, but I have an 02. I just checked their website and they do not currently make one for a 98. If you go to their website http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx there is an option to suggest a vehicle for them to make one for it and they'll notify you if they ever do. I don't know how much good that will do, especially in the short run. Anyway, if they don't make one, there is a decent chance that there might not be one out there for you as of yet. K&N is arguably (one of) the best brands out there for this...that's why I said there might not be one out there. I just did a quick search in google, and carid has some from "weapon-r". never heard of the brand so I can't say anything from that perspective. I haven't ordered from carid before, but I have read that others have on other forums and they seem to be decent. CAI are such a simple piece of hardware that any CAI should result in performance increase to some extent. Good luck!

knighttony13

Postby knighttony13 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:14 pm

First mods that you should be doing (or for every car owner who wants more boost and mileage) is to change your air filters. OEM filters restricts the engine to breathe in freely. Next are the exhaust system. You’ll be dealing with minor modifications for this. SomeArizona auto repair shops offer custom exhaust system or better buy a performance exhaust compatible for your car. This will make a great sound and a better throttle response.
Last edited by knighttony13 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Keep in mind that most of your "performance" air filters tend to let more dirt into the engine. Also, most conventional paper filters are perfectly fine for the typical street driven vehicles whereas the performance gains of filters, such as K&N, are mostly seen at high RPM conditions. Oil-coated, cloth filters have also been know to contaminate the mass air flow sensor's "hotwire" and can cause driveability issues. A good referance for the filter abilities of various filters is the Spicer air filter test:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”