Service Engine light P1110 code Valve Timing Control

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Wes

Service Engine light P1110 code Valve Timing Control

Postby Wes » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am

I have a 01 LE with 126k on it. Driving on 285 the other day the money light came on. Went by Autozone for a code check - P1110 Intake Valve Timing Control Bank # 1. Haynes manual tells me that code is Variable Valve timing control system malfunction (right bank).

Anybody have any experience with this issue? What causes it? Is it really broken or do I just need a reset with the code reader? How soon do I need to get it fixed? etc, etc. Haynes makes it sound like I may need to replace the intake valve timing control solenoid, intake valve timing control position sensor or possibly the PCM. What's all that stuff?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm

PCM-Powertrain control module-the computer that controls the engine management. Also, sometimes referred to as the ECM or ECU. It's possible...but very unlikely...to be the cause of your trouble code. First thing to do is confirm you do not have a low-oil condition in your engine, which could cause this code to set.

Your VQ-series engine has variable camshaft timing. This means the PCM can vary the camshaft timing a couple of degrees, retarded or advanced, as it needs for better engine performance.

The front of the intake camshaft on each cylinder head has a variable timing gear which can be advanced or retarded via oil pressure. The reluctance-type sensor informs the PCM of the position of the cam. The control solenoid controls the oil pressure to the VTC gear. Failure rate between the sensor and the solenoid seems to be about 50/50 and can be difficult to diagnose even with a scantool. Your vehicle has two-trip MIL setting, so "false codes" are almost non-existant. You have a problem, that's why the code is set, and you should get it fixed, sooner the better.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”