Hot transmission tunnel in 2003 Pathfinder SE

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

2003Pathfinder

Hot transmission tunnel in 2003 Pathfinder SE

Postby 2003Pathfinder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi, Guys,

I just noticed this issue but got few clues from google.

I got a 2003 Pathfinder SE automatic. low miles 46K. lightly driven, as you can tell from the mileage. I mostly drive an Accord because of the high gas price these years.

Every time after I drive the pathfinder over 30 miles or less, I can feel the rising temperature on the left side (driver side) of the transmission gear shift cover. It is the plastic cover between the transmission shift and the transfer case shift (which controls the 4 wheel drive). It seems the passenger side of the trans shift cover is in normal temperature. The heat is not disturbing unless I put my hand onto the plastic cover.

Is this just a normal phenomena? I googled, and went into a mazda miata forum. Some people there point to adding a layer of reflective/heat absorbing wraps. I don't know if such idea is really necessary for my pathy. any ideas? folks.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showth ... hlight=hot

IanH

Postby IanH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:12 pm

I will check mine next time out.

It get hot underneath the car and only a flex boot covering the 4wd lever, i am not surprised it gets hot.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:13 am

perhaps check you trans fluid level, or your transfer case.

IanH

Postby IanH » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am

on the shortish runs with temps here in high 80's and low 90's this doesn't seem to get hot.
I know the floor and transmission tunnel does get hot on long journeys.
If you remove your center consul and boots around the levers, there is normally two on vehicles I have worked on. maybe the lower one is misplaced or torn.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”