pLaStIdIp MaInIa!!!!

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

pLaStIdIp MaInIa!!!!

Postby doctahjones » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 pm

(sorry, just had to do the annoying upper/lowercase thing)

next possible plastidip project, the plastic "skid plate" under the license plate?or hell, what about the whole 'lip' under there.

my 'rendering' of what i think it would probably look like. before on top, afters in the middle and bottom....

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm

What about doing the whole lip, but leaving the metal skid plate alone? Aluminum on black will look trick, no?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:34 am

slavabon wrote:What about doing the whole lip, but leaving the metal skid plate alone? Aluminum on black will look trick, no?

ehhh, don't like it like that...

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 am

I like the bottom picture in your first post.

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 am

I like the middle pic the best. What would it look like if you did the round sections around the fog's with the middle pic.

Or if you did the chrome side rail and V8 logo on the sides?

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 pm

I like the middle picture as well. I like the way it frames the siilver.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:30 pm

cgray wrote:I like the middle pic the best. What would it look like if you did the round sections around the fog's with the middle pic.

Or if you did the chrome side rail and V8 logo on the sides?
possibly the fog light areas...

but like i said in my rocker panel thread, i like the chrome side rails and the v8 logo being chrome. not touching those.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Oly 22 wrote:I like the middle picture as well. I like the way it frames the siilver.
you mean the very bottom pic thats on it's own?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 am

I like the all white look myself, but you know that area (skid) will get mangled fairly fast, especially in winter. Black is your best bet & you simply can't go wrong since everything on your rig is either black or white.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Sorry Doc,

I meant the middle picture of the first three you posted. The silver part painted black. When I was typing on my phone, the picture with the black around the silver was just above. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

That being said, just a quick thought. I have a black Pathfinder and do a lot of highway driving throughout the province and on gravel roads to mine sites. I get quite a few stone chips on the bumper and they appear like little white spots all over the place. I hardly notice anything on the silver part. If you get stone chips, like I do, I expect the silver will show through quite easily.

You know what would look really great...Super Sliders!

Shameless, very shameless :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:19 am

well after much deliberation i'm going to do the whole lip and silver black, along with the inside of the fog light holes (thanks for the suggestion cgray). should look something like this when i'm done. probably won't get to start on it until next week. (maybe today/tonight though if i'm lucky)

i realize i'll get quite a few rocks thrown at it and such, but come on, it's only $5 a can while i test all this. eventually i would be doing some kind of actual paint (maybe bedliner on the silver part) once i'm finally 'good' with making permanent changes to my truck.

cgray

Postby cgray » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 am

That should look good! If I didnt have dark blue paint I would be thinking about the same mod

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 am

It does look good and if any repainting is not an issue, all the better.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:46 pm

ooook, all done. this was a 2 out of 10 star job though. it's really pretty horrible. not exactly sure why. took my time, used like 7-8+ coats, yet it turned out not so smooth and matte. by coat 8 i was just going over and over it trying different things, like moving reallly slow when spraying so it actually pooled up. didn't seem to make a difference, still came out pretty bumpy. not sure if it's because these are straight plastic pieces or what, but i'm probably going to end up taking it off soon.

i will however leave it on long enough for me to get an idea if i do really like it, and if so i'll take it to a paint and body shop to see about an estimate.

also found out that the plastic silver "skid plate" is NON REMOVABLE. yup, it's held in by 3 screws on the bottom, and with these two clips at the top that seem to be one way only, and that's install. if you try to pry the plate off it will snap part of the molded-to-the-plate plastic mounting tabs. replacement plate is ~$71 + new tabs + s/h. the clip is the round part, the broken tab is the rectangle part. doh.

masked and after a few coats

i used electrical tape to go around the grove where the fog lights are. its easier to use than masking tape since it flexes more

all done, but before cleaning up around the fog lights. far away it all looks pretty awesome. up close it looks like -crap-.

up close on the top of the lip

here's the bad part about the elec tape (3m brand). it leaves this black sticky residue that doesn't seem to come off easily

however i found that acetone and qtips work well for removing it. just wet one end and you can rub with a little pressure and it takes the excess and residue right off

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Doctahjones, you seem to have some photoshop skills, I wonder if you can fulfill a photoshop request. Could you do the fender flares in black as well? I mean continue the black up from the rocker panels around the fender flares and then back down to the bottom of the bumpers.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”