New R50 Member in SE Texas

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

linewar

New R50 Member in SE Texas

Postby linewar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 am

Hello all,

My Pathfinder has an interesting story. I originally got her in 2006, after several months of research and comparison against the Toyota 4-Runner. At the time I wanted reliability over anything, since I was buying an older car in order to lower my debt load, and my conclusion was that mid-90's 4-Runners and Pathfinders with 4 wheel drive and a stick shift were as close to bulletproof as anything out there. I bought this 1996 4x4 5-speed (I believe it is an SE, because of the black grille and power windows/ locks and rear LSD) from a dealer in Houston, TX, who had taken it on trade from the original owner, an older gentleman who retired to Houston from Apple Valley, California. (Why anyone would do that, I have no idea.)

After 2 years of happy, relatively trouble-free ownership, my mother-in-law needed a vehicle. Wanting her to have something reliable, I bought a Jeep Liberty with a diesel engine, and gave her the Pathfinder in September 2008. 4 years later, she can no longer drive, so I picked up my old Pathfinder on Saturday.

As you can see, "Betsy" is in need of some TLC - to start, two front marker lights. She also has a oil leak, not too too bad - about a half teaspoon per week - but any leak is something to be investigated and corrected, if possible. Also a lot of the original tint has gone bad. But she still starts on the first turn, shifts like the clutch is a leg-press machine at the gym, and there is no visible damage to the CV's on the front driveshaft, transfer case or front hal-shafts.

I was an active member at LOST Jeeps when I had my Jeep, so I am familiar with forum rules and courtesy. I look forward to learning more and meeting everyone.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 am

What did you think of your jeep diesel?

linewar

Postby linewar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 am

I liked it overall. It's really a unique package - a high-torque diesel is perfect for a 4x4. I disliked that in the US it was only available with an automatic, but lived with it.

They have some quirks, however. But there is a very dedicated online community for owners that helped me troubleshoot (and spend LOTS of $$$$) to prevent bad things and repair things, since there is almost NO dealer support. I wouldn't suggest owning one if you're not willing to work on it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 am

Have always tossed around the idea of a GC 3.0 CRD. Didn't do it for the reason you listed, heard they are not supported well.

Thanks and welcome to the forums!
t

linewar

Postby linewar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:33 am

I'd feel more comfortable with the GC 3.0 than the Liberty, because the GC has a Mercedes engine. If the Jeep place looks at it and scratches their heads, you can take it to a Benz dealer and they'll know what to do. The Liberty has a 2.8L VM Motori (Italian) engine, and apart from marine applications, the Liberty is the only non-commercial vehicle that uses that engine. Of course, there are parts galore in Europe, but good luck sourcing them. . .

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Based on the chrome steel wheels, I believe you have an "XE" and not an "SE," which typically came with alloy wheels. The hard clutch pedal is probably a sign that you are due for a new clutch. The rear main seal and rear oil pan lip seal are common oil leaks, so it's a good time to check when the trans is out for clutch removal.

linewar

Postby linewar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks for the tip. It has 135,600 miles, so that's not a terrible lot of miles for a clutch. However, it is 16 years old, so....

There's a lot that needs to be done. The suspension is, as far as I know, the original and this thing rolls like I'm on a boat. So, new suspension, $800+. (gotta go OME, dontcha know) New clutch, meh, about $3-400. Oil leak? Idk. Need to identify what's wrong with the cruise control, I need to do the knock sensor reroute as well, and have the windows re-tinted. All in all, there is a lot to do to get it to where I want it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”