96 SE: Timing belt, water pump, valve covers, drive belts...

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

ridepow

96 SE: Timing belt, water pump, valve covers, drive belts...

Postby ridepow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey all...

Got a quote from a local shop for some work on my 96 SE. It's only got about 83k miles on it, so I want to put a little work into it to get it running good.

Timing belt, water pump, valve covers, drive belts, thermostat and crank pulley all done for $1300.

This sound about right?? Any insight appreciated.

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Don't forget the timing belt tensioner pulley, front cam and crank seals. Price doesn't sound bad, but it's hard to really say as the type of parts and their quality is unknown to us (genuine Nissan, aftermarket?) and what the normal labor rate is for your area. I've seen labor rates go from $25/hour in some parts of the south to over $100/hour in area like Staten Island/NYC.

ridepow

Postby ridepow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. He will also be doing the timing tension pulley, f cam and crank seals. I'm getting the work done in the metro-Philly area so labor around here seems to be in the 80-100 range, from what I have found. This is an independent shop recommended by a buddy.

I'm trying to be proactive with this stuff because I'm getting ready to drive this rig across the country.

Any other long-trip maintenance tips are definitely welcome.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”