Serpentine Belt Tensioner

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

gear1975

Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Postby gear1975 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 am

So, I bring my 2006 PF to the dealership for the first time since buying it (i got it about 6 weeks ago). It was due for an oil change, and I found out that it was eligiable for a ECM Relay replacement under a Nissan recall (whatever a ECM relay is, I really don't know :) ).

Anyhow, I opted for their 21 point "Winter Checkup" inspection as well. I mentioned to them them I hear a whining noise at startup. They look into it. During this inspection, they determined that the noise was coming from the serpentine belt. Belt condition itself is ok, but is quite loose. Auto tensioner is weak, and they recommend replacing the belt auto tensioner. Also, they recommend that if they're replacing the auto tensioner, they may as well replace the belt itself too.

Has anyone ever done this repair themselves, or see it as a "must-do" repair? Parts and labour for this repair is quoted at about $230 without a new belt.

Any feedback appreciated.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:12 am

It's an exceedingly easy job if you're at all handy with tools. There's a socket on the tensioner that you just put a 3/8" socket driver into to get a handle and leverage on it to lean it over and slip the belt off, and then just one more bolt to replace the tensioner. You may need to remove some of the intake tubing parts to get access, but certainly not the radiator fan as specified in the ESM on page 15 here:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R51/Service/EM.pdf

Over on http://www.courtesyparts.com the tensioner costs about $50, and the belt another $25'ish.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Postby eieio » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 am

gear1975 wrote:So, I bring my 2006 PF to the dealership for the first time since buying it (i got it about 6 weeks ago). It was due for an oil change, and I found out that it was eligiable for a ECM Relay replacement under a Nissan recall (whatever a ECM relay is, I really don't know :) ).

Anyhow, I opted for their 21 point "Winter Checkup" inspection as well. I mentioned to them them I hear a whining noise at startup. They look into it. During this inspection, they determined that the noise was coming from the serpentine belt. Belt condition itself is ok, but is quite loose. Auto tensioner is weak, and they recommend replacing the belt auto tensioner. Also, they recommend that if they're replacing the auto tensioner, they may as well replace the belt itself too.

Has anyone ever done this repair themselves, or see it as a "must-do" repair? Parts and labour for this repair is quoted at about $230 without a new belt.

Any feedback appreciated.
replace the belt along with the new tensioner
$230 (even if it included a new belt) is very excessive
..........typical for a dealership :roll:

thetrance

Postby thetrance » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 am

if your belt is aftermarket, replace it with the oem nissan belt. theres been some issues with aftermarket belts and the grooves on them making noise on the pulleys, even if new

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I got a quote from my neighborhood mechanic (used him for years with all my previous cars) and he quoted me WAY less for parts and labor than the dealership (no surprise). But, he quoted me $90.11 for a replacement belt (OEM Nissan). Does that sound right?

May get it done next week.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:32 pm

way too high...you can order them from Nisson for $25 or less. I put a NAPA belt on mine with no problems.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm

gear1975 wrote: But, he quoted me $90.11 for a replacement belt (OEM Nissan). Does that sound right?
no, it doesn't sound right........
http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder ... _9070.html

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 pm

WOAH! Thanks guys!

ORIGINAL QUOTE (from Dealership, including belt): $316.82
NEW PRICE (using local mechanic and parts from Courtesy): $101.15

Nice.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 pm

it really is an easy job should you decide to do it yourself

thetrance

Postby thetrance » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:12 pm

maybe look at rockauto also. i think the tensioner goes for 30 bucks + shipping
Last edited by thetrance on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thetrance

Postby thetrance » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:13 pm

gear1975 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I got a quote from my neighborhood mechanic (used him for years with all my previous cars) and he quoted me WAY less for parts and labor than the dealership (no surprise). But, he quoted me $90.11 for a replacement belt (OEM Nissan). Does that sound right?

May get it done next week.
I got my belt from the dealer for around 20-25 dollars I believe

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 pm

dawgn86 wrote: it really is an easy job should you decide to do it yourself
I dunno. My local mechanic says he'd charge me 0.5-0.75 hr shop rate ($90/hr). May be worth it for him to do it.

Plus, it's cold out and I don't have a heated garage! :D

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey Gear,

Are you positive its a belt noise? I have a whining noise that comes from my fan clutch when the temps drop to where they are right now. It does it one startup, and goes away when you rev the engine.

I originally took it in to the dealer (it was right after we bought it, it had about 10k kms of warranty left on it) and they did the belt and tensioner (unfortunately not covered by said warranty), about $300 if I recall. Didn't fix the problem.

After some run around, they identified it as the fan clutch, and the tech actually said its a known issue. His comment was that even a new one may start doing this after a short time, and not to worry about it.

That was 5 yrs ago, and its been fine since then.

What end of town are you in. I could give it a listen if you like. For free... :)

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Just throwing in my .02 cents. Replacing the belt is very easy, you can do it yourself in less than 5 minutes and the belt is only $24.00 I think from the dealership and I verified it at courtesy parts.

Please do not pay that amt to have a belt done, even if they are replacing the tensioner, you could do that too.

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey disallow, thanks for the offer. I'm in St. Vital. If that location's convenient, PM me your number and maybe we'll set it up.

The more you guys say how easy it is to replace the belt/tensioner, the more I'm thinking that I'll do it! We'll see.

The whining is less and less now (maybe due to a rather balmy by Winnipeg standards weekend).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”