OEM Battery CCA

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

OEM Battery CCA

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:15 am

could not find the CCA rating of the OEM battery in the Service Manual or the Owners' Manual, and my OEM batteries are long gone
i'd appreciate if any of you might be able to let me know what your OEM battery label info is for CCA, and if indicated, the higher temp CCA as well
thanks, e

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:54 am

I personally go with the highest CCA I can find. OEM battery's suck.

I think I got 1100CCA if I remember correctly.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Captain wrote:I personally go with the highest CCA I can find. OEM battery's suck.

I think I got 1100CCA if I remember correctly.
thanks Captain
i know that a high CCA rating is desirable
for several different reasons, i have my eye on a particular replacement battery, andi'm trying to clear up some confusion about the difference between it and the OEM spec battery that came originally in the truck
here's my recent post (from today) in the "Crappy Nissan battery" topic thread:
eieio wrote:
disallow wrote:Reviving an old post here. I hereby rescind my endorsement of the Optima Red Top! At 2.5yrs, it has crapped out on me twice in the past 3 weeks. I have done my diagnostics, and there are no abnormal parasitic loads, so its definitely the battery.

Also, due to some massive renovations we are doing, I misplaced my bill for this thing, and apparently it is required in order to get warranty. My bad I guess, but my experience in the past is that they mark off the label on the battery with the purchase date, and go off of that for warranty purposes. Not the case with Optima, in fact it specifically says (in small print!) that you need to keep your receipt. Dang.

As blowing another $180 on a battery is not a priority right now, I decided to go for a Kirkland brand battery from Costco. I ended up using a Group 35 (coincidentally the same size as the Optima) as they didn't have a 24 in stock.

$78.99 + $10 for the core.

I have attached a pic of the label, that shows the CC and CCA. Should meet the requirements. Also, note the warranty listed on the label. 3yr free replacement, 100 month prorated. Doubt I will have this truck in 100 months! so we are good to go!

t
hey t!
i currently have an Optima Red Top in each of my Pathfinders (both 2005 R51's)
both of mine are slowly failing
all diagnostics are good, except for the batteries, which will not accept a charge of any more than 12.4 VDC
these batteries are 3 & 4 years old - not the least bit impressed with their quality (sorri i bought them)
i, too looked toward Costco for a replacement
they told me the same, that the Pathfinder takes a 24F battery with 700 CCA, but they don't make one
i think the (Group 35) battery that you bought is for the Frontier of the same year, which they say requires a 550 CCA battery
what i don't understand is why the PF has a different CCA requirement listing than the Frontier
also, need i be concerned that the CCA of the Costco battery is 60 CCA lower than they list
seems that you live in a colder environment than i do
i want to buy the new batteries at Costco because of my confidence in their way of doing business, their quality, and great customer service
just want to be as sure as possible that i'm making the right decision buying batteries that aren't quite to "spec "
has your Costco battery been performing to your satisfaction?
thanks, e
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6532

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:44 pm

According to ALLDATA, the specification are as follows:

STANDARD BATTERY:
Group: 24
Capacity (20 HR) minimum V-AH: 63
Cold cranking current (For reference value): 550 A

Personally, I've been using the Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. They are always highly rated by Consumer Reports, have a terrific warranty and fairly priced around $75-85. The one they list for the 05 Pathfinder has 750 CCA and 3-year free replacement warranty. The Interstate Megatron is also highly rated but they tend to be a bit pricey.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:26 pm

smj999smj wrote:According to ALLDATA, the specification are as follows:

STANDARD BATTERY:
Group: 24
Capacity (20 HR) minimum V-AH: 63
Cold cranking current (For reference value): 550 A

Personally, I've been using the Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. They are always highly rated by Consumer Reports, have a terrific warranty and fairly priced around $75-85. The one they list for the 05 Pathfinder has 750 CCA and 3-year free replacement warranty. The Interstate Megatron is also highly rated but they tend to be a bit pricey.
thanks
isn't it rather odd that the service manual and owners' manual (unless i overlooked the info - in which case i'd really like to know) mentions nothing about CCA, at least as far as a recommended minimum?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:14 pm

ALLDATA's information largely comes from the factory service manual. It should be listed in there somewhere.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 am

smj999smj wrote:ALLDATA's information largely comes from the factory service manual. It should be listed in there somewhere.
Thanks again smj999smj!
i finally did find the info that you posted in the "Starting System" section of the FSM
BTW:what does "reference value" mean? [Cold cranking current (For reference value): 550 A]
is that still the equivalent of 550 CCA?
i still want to go with the Costco Group 35 battery (price/warranty excellent!)
though most references point to a group 24 battery with usually 700+ CCA, is there any reason that the Costco/Kirkland battery (640CCA) would not perform just fine, as the service manual indicates CCA as 550 for OEM spec
disallow has been using one for some time now with great results
from disallows' post:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 am

I've been using the Duralast platinum, gel battery, in my pathfinder for just over a year and have liked it and no complaints so far. I used to use the red top optimas in my Grand Cherokee.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 pm

i've had my duralast gold in for 2 years (almost to the date) and it started doing that "slow start" where you -know- your battery is starting to go out.

so i stopped by autozone yesterday and told the lady at the counter what the deal was and she was trying to blame it on corrosion on that fusepack that's mounted right after the positive terminal. "but" she said, "if you want to take the battery out, i'll swap it for ya".

so, now i have a new battery for free :)

after taking it off we did find that the plastic was cracked at the positive terminal base, and she said that's probably what was doing it.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 pm

the one i have:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... _175955_0_

*** 750 cold cranking Amps (935 cranking Amps) *** 130 reserve minutes. -> 3 year free replacement <-

i might move up to that platinum battery the next time it goes out though

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Current = Amps so these are the same. As the battery ages, it will not be able to provide the same CCA as it did, when it was new. I expect what they mean about "for reference value" is the initial CCA rating of a new battery (the starting reference point). Think about batteries in a flash light. Put new batteries in and the light is nice and bright. After time, though, turn the flashlight on and the light is dim. Even though the construction of an automotive battery is different than a "D" cell, the characteristics are similar. They will loose the ability to power the load sufficiently, dimmer head lights, harder to start, for example. At a certain point, an automotive battery will fail open, so no current is available to start the vehicle.

As for warranties, the full replacement warranty would be the most important. The more months, the better, obviously. If anything happens to your battery within 36 months of a 36 month full replacement warranty, it will be replaced with a brand new battery for free. The extended pro-rated warranties do not mean as much as some people think. The manufacturer will provide a dollar amount on an adjusted value, based on how old the battery is, against the purchase of a new battery at full retail/list price. You might be better off looking for a deal on a new battery versus opting for the pro-rated discount.

Most batteries will not last nearly as long as the pro-rated warranty offers. In general, batteries would last 5 to 6 years so a pro-rated battery, over 72 months, really doesn't offer much more to the consumer. Consider a 100 month pro-rated warranty, that is 8.3 years. Will the battery still be working that long? And what would the pro-rated value be? $2.00?

The CCA rating is used to define the batteries ability to start the engine in cold temperatures. The rating is the number of amps, a fully charged battery can deliver at a cold temperature rating such as 32 degrees F, shown on the Kirkland label. I believe this is an industry standard, to base the CCA on 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C but I am not 100% sure. As for the question, Would the Costco/Kirkland 640CCA battery perform fine compared to the OEM battery rated at 550CCA. Yes, it will provide more starting power in colder temperatures than the standard OEM battery.

I change the batteries in my truck and boat every 5+ years, before they fail. I travel all over the province and into some remote areas, not too interested in hitching a ride or rowing the boat to shore.

There are batteries designed for cold climates and batteries designed for hot climates and batteries designed for high accessory vehicles (Nav, Audio, Visual, heated seats etc.). The Interstate Battery website discusses this.

I had an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus battery, in my last truck and loved it and never had a problem. The battery was 800CCA, 1000 cranking amps with a 30 month full replacement warranty and 85 month pro-rated warranty. Yes, they are a bit pricey but worth a few extra dollars, IMHO.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Correction CCA is based on 0 degrees F. My bad.

Return to “R51 Electrical”