Hood vents

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Hood vents

Postby Gray » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:32 am

Have any here installed hood vents, vents along the windshield wiper tray or looked into what other engine compartment venting solutions might work for our trucks. I do some grill blocking and by keeping the engine bay cooler could block more of the front end openings for some additional fuel economy.

Around the city grill blocking doesn't do much but at freeway speeds there can be marked improvements for most, as much as 5 mpg on some vehicles depending on speeds traveled. One of the things that I've noticed from doing a complete block of the center V section of the rad grill is that my windshield stays a lot cleaner during the summer bug season. :)

I guess I'd have to take off the grill blocking if I was to do some trailer or boat towing.

YMMV

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Maybe if it wasn't so warm here in the summer. No way am I going to block any part of the grill.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:28 pm

NVSteve wrote:Maybe if it wasn't so warm here in the summer. No way am I going to block any part of the grill.
Not sure why you wouldn't look to variable grill blocking as this is normaly done in the trucking industry by various means. Nissan built in probably 25% margin of error for radiator rock damage and bug plugging, but then the cooling system was designed for towing 6000# trailers so what I've been told by Nissan service managers is that 50% grill blocking is no problem. Something that may translate into some fuel economy as pushing air through an engine bay is a big FE hit. :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:49 am

Greybrick wrote:Something that may translate into some fuel economy as pushing air through an engine bay is a big FE hit. :wink:

Makes sense, but I still wouldn't do it where I live. Driving on the freeway in 100F+ heat at 85mph for ~300 miles, then pulling off on a dirt road for another 60 miles of driving in 4x4 at no more than 25mph-heat is not a good thing. I've had a number of vehicles that had overheating problems while out & about on dirt roads, especially my last vehicle (Durango).

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”