rattling sound and Belt sqeaky noise in the morning

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

shanti.vt1

rattling sound and Belt sqeaky noise in the morning

Postby shanti.vt1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm

hello,

Had my pathfinder for about 1 year. its a 05 and has 120000 KM, when I start the car in the morning I am getting a belt squeaking sound. Should I replace my belt ?

Also when I accelerate I get a very fast rattling sound, I checked under the car and could not find any lose part, dont know if I should remove the sheet under the front of the car and also check there. The does not sound like a lose piece.

Any advise would be great.

thanks

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 am

For the belt yes, and it's pretty easy to change.

For the noise, is it a harmonic vibration/rattle right around 2700-3100 RPM with a peak around 2800 RPM? Sounds like its coming from somewhere around the firewall behind the dash?

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

If so, this is the usual culprit in my truck. I've since been able to figure out that the cable goes through a narrow plastic cut out under the air handler. It probably vibrates the same on every Pathfinder, assuming mine isn't missing some kind of rubber piece or something.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: rattling sound and Belt sqeaky noise in the morning

Postby eieio » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 am

shanti.vt1 wrote:Also when I accelerate I get a very fast rattling sound, I checked under the car and could not find any lose part, dont know if I should remove the sheet under the front of the car and also check there. The does not sound like a lose piece.
check for a loose or broken exhaust shield clamp
search the forum for more info on that problem

ShipFixer

Re: rattling sound and Belt sqeaky noise in the morning

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 pm

eieio wrote:
shanti.vt1 wrote:Also when I accelerate I get a very fast rattling sound, I checked under the car and could not find any lose part, dont know if I should remove the sheet under the front of the car and also check there. The does not sound like a lose piece.
check for a loose or broken exhaust shield clamp
search the forum for more info on that problem
Oh...and there's that :-D Never heard that noise at speed but I had it bad. Heard it more often at stops or near solid walls where I could hear the echo.

I pre-emptively put hose clamps over all of mine. Around 35K miles nearly all of them had corroded free or were about to...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 am

Don't just replace the serpentine belt, but also the tensioner; they've had problems with them. There's a TSB on tje issue..

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am

smj999smj wrote:Don't just replace the serpentine belt, but also the tensioner; they've had problems with them. There's a TSB on tje issue..
Hello,

If there is a TSB on this, how can I get the dealer to replace it. Does the truck still have to in warranty, etc ?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am

shanti.vt1 wrote:
smj999smj wrote:Don't just replace the serpentine belt, but also the tensioner; they've had problems with them. There's a TSB on tje issue..
Hello,

If there is a TSB on this, how can I get the dealer to replace it.
more info here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2384
shanti.vt1 wrote:Does the truck still have to in warranty, etc ?
yes

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

MY truck is out of warranty. Too hard of a job for me to try.

I will take it to the dealer with TBS and see if they can do it under that.

This is a Canadian car, hope that does make a difference. I also live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

TSB's are issued by the manufacturer for their techs to inform them of updated information, such as countermeasure parts or repair info for common issues they are finding with a particular vehicle. They are no a "recall" or "campaign" and do not add additional warranty time for those countermeasure parts.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”