New Battery question

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

HydroPonix

New Battery question

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Hey guys I am looking to upgrade my old battery. I am looking for something that can take multiple starts 5 to 10 in one day, and extreme cold weather, -10 or colder. At work we use optima yellow top deep cycle for our generators and it seems to work just fine for that application... has anyone else had any experience with these batteries in their pf? if not an optima battery any other kind that works really well can take some abuse.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: New Battery question

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm

HydroPonix wrote:Hey guys I am looking to upgrade my old battery. I am looking for something that can take multiple starts 5 to 10 in one day, and extreme cold weather, -10 or colder. At work we use optima yellow top deep cycle for our generators and it seems to work just fine for that application... has anyone else had any experience with these batteries in their pf? if not an optima battery any other kind that works really well can take some abuse.
do a search of this forum for "battery" :wink:

HydroPonix

thank you

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:52 pm

appreciate it

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Deep cycle batteries are generally used for engines that see a lot of sit time between starts (like boats) and doesn't give much benefit if you start your vehicle 5 to 10 times a day. Some have used the red top Optima battery but have reported it didn't last as long as they expected and it was expensive. Most off-the-shelf batteries can handle temperatures a good deal below freezing. Consumer Reports rates batteries on a regular basis. Often at the top of the list is the Interstate Megatron, Kirkland Signature, Walmart's Everstart Maxx, and Diehard.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm

X2 for the Interstate Megatron battery.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 pm

I have a Duralast Platinum battery sold by Autozone. Good Nation wide warranty. I've had it just over a year and no problems. Just moved to Utah in December and have been between -10 and 20 degrees F. No issues starting at all.

Here is some good info about them...

"Duralast Platinum is an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery designed to give you the ultimate combination of power, durability and flexibility. Delivering maximum cold cranking amps and reserve capacity, Duralast Platinum provides safe, reliable power to vehicles with multiple electronic accessories.
•Greater ability to recover from deep discharge than conventional batteries
•Designed to provide maximum starting power and deep cycle capability
•Advanced technology for vehicles with accessories that demand greater power
•Constructed for greater vibration resistance and enhanced durability
•Leak proof and spill-proof for safer maintenance-free power
•3-year free replacement warranty"

Hope that helps.

HydroPonix

awesome info

Postby HydroPonix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

thanks guys, I was going to go yellowtop or red top but it seems that they have gone down in terms of reliability lately but are still pricey. I was looking at several batteries and the duralast platinum seems to fit the bill. the 3 yr warranty is also a big plus. ill let you know what I go with and how the batt works out for me. :lol:

Return to “R51 Electrical”