Pathfinder Died...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

oyarsa

Pathfinder Died...

Postby oyarsa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:30 am

So I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post this, but when I tried to post in the general 2005 Pathfinder forum, it stated that only moderators were allowed to post...

So...tonight I was trying to drive home. I started the car and made it about 100 yards or so before the Service Engine Soon light started flickering and everything started to die. The power steering died...everything...

I tried several times to get the car to start, but for quite a while it wouldn't. It seemed to be trying to start. The battery is fairly new (a couple months old), plenty of gas, but it just wouldn't get going. Finally it started up for some reason, and I waited with it idling for a friend to show up and follow me. At this point the service engine soon light wasn't on. I drove about 5 or so miles with the service engine light off and the car driving fine, then the light started flickering and the car started to die. I tried some more to get the car to start, but again it just couldn't quite get going. Occasionally it would seem to start up for a second, but almost immediately it would die. Any thoughts as to what might be wrong? It's a 2005 with about 137,000 miles. Maybe spark plugs? Fuel pump?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 am

this comes to mind.........
has this recall campaign repair been done?
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/ECMRela ... hp?menu=40

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 am

I'd check the following:

- Battery terminal connections (had similar issues with the Pathfinder and another vehicle where I allowed it to corrode a little too much before putting dielectric grease on it).

- Alternator

Do you have a code scanner? That would tell you what the SES light is on for...

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 am

Sounds like the alternator or the ECM relay.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 pm

If you have foglamps, try swapping the foglamp relay with the ECM relay in the IPDM/ER. If it fixes the problem, re-swap the two relays and then replace the ECM relay with a new one. They are only a couple of dollars from Nissan.

oyarsa

Postby oyarsa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for the replies! After posting last night I checked around online and found the recall. I had high hopes that that was the problem, so this morning I checked the battery connection, tried a different set of keys, and failing those, I had it towed to the dealership to have the recall performed. They did it and said it fixed the problem. Tonight (of course after the dealership is closed) I picked up the car and it initially did the exact same thing. I decided to let it keep cranking and pumped the gas pedal a few times and finally it roared to life. I made it home, but now I'm thinking the problem isn't fixed.

On the drive home, the SES light never came on. I think it was only actually on when all the dash lights were on and I just assumed that it was on for a reason...

Tomorrow I may try to acquire a scanner. If I recall correctly, the SES light doesn't always come on when there is a code. Is that correct?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Yup...can always be a code still in the system...

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Correct, the computer usually stores codes until it's reset by a tool. I bought one from Sears for like $50. It's basic... reads codes and resets the computer--and was a fantastic investment.

Just throwing this out there... It sounds kind of like you may be having fuel delivery issues. I'm thinking fuel pump, perhaps?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I wonder if the ECM relay fixed the main problem and now it needs an idle air volume relearn?

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Doubt it. I would say it is fine. The tech probably installed the new relay and shipped it. I had one last week that was towed in. Replaced relay and it was hard to start. After a few good cycles it was fine.

Tzvier

Postby Tzvier » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 am

as far as a code reader, you can always swing by you local auto parts store, they typically have one you can use right there to read/clear.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”