Fuel Pump?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Fuel Pump?

Postby DanJetta » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 am

Ugh... this car is draining me!

I'm getting a buzzing sound from underneath in the rear when the engine is running. I can only imagine that this is the fuel pump warning me of impending death.

Anyone ever changed one? Anything I need to know?

ShipFixer

Re: Fuel Pump?

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm

DanJetta wrote:Ugh... this car is draining me!

I'm getting a buzzing sound from underneath in the rear when the engine is running. I can only imagine that this is the fuel pump warning me of impending death.

Anyone ever changed one? Anything I need to know?
Are you sure it's not an exhaust shield band that corroded apart? Just curious, sometimes they sound like buzzing, sometimes they sound like you're killing a Transformer slowly under there...

Have you tried looking for it with an auto stethoscope?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 pm

I like it... killing a Transformer slowly. Ha!

The buzzing is almost a whirring sound that stays constant regardless of the engine speed. Definitely coming from some type of motor. I recognize the sound from when my Jetta's fuel pump went. It's the sound of "borrowed time" before a no-start.

The difference is that a VW fuel pump you change from inside the car and it takes a screwdriver and 20 minutes. The Pathfinder requires the fuel tank to be dropped, I believe.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”