Newbie Towing Guide?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RossCarlson

Newbie Towing Guide?

Postby RossCarlson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:25 am

I've read through most of the forum so far but as the search function sucks so badly I've had a hard time finding this. I'm looking for a newbie's guide to towing with the Pathfinder - as you can probably tell I'm new at this.

Vitals - 2008 Pathfinder LE V8 towing a dual axle 18ft car hauler with electronic brakes (haven't acquired the trailer yet). I think I need a brake controller and a load distributing hitch, is that right? I've seen mine has a 4 pin connector at the hitch (that I assume is factory). Should I just find a good local shop and have them set me up? Any idea what sort of cost I'm looking at?

Thanks - hopefully this hasn't been asked and answered a million times.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Yes, you'll need a trailer brake controller. A load distributing hitch is a good idea for heavy hauling. You'll need to install a 7-pin trailer connector and harness and bracket. You'll also need an adapter harness to plug the controller into the vehicle's harness. Nissan sells all but the controller, but you can pick up the rest of the stuff on the aftermarket, as well. Try a company like Rigid:

http://www.rigidhitch.com/

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Go with the Nissan 7 way plug. You should be able to find it at any Nissan dealership and it's plug and play. Better than aftermarket splicing wires and mounting something that does not look factory. When I bought mine used, it had the aftermarket and it looked ugly. I ended up buying the OEM part and did the swap and it took me maybe 20 minutes tops.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 am

Two more suggestions: install a set of Airlift 1000 airbags in the rear and replace the stock rear shock absorbers with a set of monotubes, like Bilstein HD's. They'll make a huge difference in the handling, especially when towing.

RossCarlson

Postby RossCarlson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the assistance guys, as I said I'm new to this and I haven't been able to find clear information. If I may, a few more questions:

So I understand I need a brake controller, and someone has mentioned an adapter that I can get from Nissan. Can you explain further? Does this adapter allow me to connect the controller without cutting/splicing anything? Do I see have to run some sort of wire from the brake controller back to the rear of the truck?

Mine has the factory receiver - how do i know what type of step-down I need? I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight with a ball to tow a small trailer I have (tiny tire trailer) and it was way too high. Do I need to get this after I get the trailer?

I got an estimate from a local shop for about $400 all-in. If I can do it myself for 50% or less of that then I'd go for it.

Thanks gents,

-Ross

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”