Crappy traction/need limited slip

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Crappy traction/need limited slip

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 pm

SO I've had the Pathy for about 1.5 years and I've only been stuck (kind of) once.

The other day I purposely drove my truck into a pretty large/deep hole (6' wide, 3' deep, sloped down sides) but I really only had the left front wheel in the hole. I stopped when I felt like the front left was pitching down a little too much for comfort. I put her in reverse, and I guess I had the right rear pitched up just enough that the same tire just spun in the gravel. Left rear tire did nothing. My truck is a 2005 4wd SE model. I had it in 2wd, VDC was on and the SLIP light was flashing while the tire was spinning. I heard the anti-lock clicking away trying to slow down the spinning tire. I didn't bother switching into 4wd, I just did the back and forth thing kind of how you get yourself out of snow.

I was really suprised that the right rear did nothing to get me out of that hole. If I am on flat ground in the dirt or gravel and I punch it both rear tires will spin.

What's the deal with this?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Many limited slip differentials used for automotive use are 1-way differentials. The provide their limiting action in going forward, but in reverse, they act like an open differential.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks smj, that makes sense.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm

By mistake, the passenger side front wheel went off the driveway. Put it in reverse and I was stuck, no traction. Put it in 4WD and it backed out with no problem. Found out that 4WD position activates the ABS circuit, so that any spinning tire gets braked. Got to hand it to those engineers who found an additional use for ABS. Saved a tow by AAA.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”