Cruise control not working...sort of...

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

The_Force

Cruise control not working...sort of...

Postby The_Force » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Here is the problem:

I turn on the cruise control via a switch on the dash by the steering wheel.

Then when I attempt to activate the cruise control by pressing the coast/set button, the gas pedal does not stay down and the cruise control is not activated (I loose speed), even though I see the "cruise" light come on in the instrument cluster.

What could the issue be? I am not sure what to look for.

Fixing this issue is not top priority, as I use this vehicle for mostly driving around town, but it would be nice to figure out how to fix it.

Melbo

Postby Melbo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm

A couple of questions.

There are TWO lights that should be on if the cruise is engaged

The first one turns on when you turn the switch on (my switch is on the left of the steering column the light is on the right) the second turns on when the cruise is engaged as you described by pushing in the button on the end of the lever.

If only the first light comes on AND you have a standard trans check and see if the clutch pedal switch is being engaged when the pedal is released.

That is where I would start.

Melbo

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Melbo wrote:A couple of questions.

There are TWO lights that should be on if the cruise is engaged

The first one turns on when you turn the switch on (my switch is on the left of the steering column the light is on the right) the second turns on when the cruise is engaged as you described by pushing in the button on the end of the lever.

If only the first light comes on AND you have a standard trans check and see if the clutch pedal switch is being engaged when the pedal is released.

That is where I would start.

Melbo
My switch is in the same spot and the light illuminates when the switch is on. Everything else is as you described.

I have a auto transmission.

Melbo

Postby Melbo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 am

Is the second light lighting up so both lights are lit and the cruise still not engaged or only the first light and the second does not come on.

If the second is not coming on then check for the brake switch to be open

If the second light is on and the cruise not engaged I would have to consult a wiring diagram to guess

Hope This Helps

Melbo

The_Force

Postby The_Force » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Both lights are on, but the cruise will not engage as described in my 1st post.

And thanks for the help, really do appreciate it :)

elviejo41585

Postby elviejo41585 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:15 am

I have a manual. Pathy I cant get it work also. It has a switch on the left side of steering wheel I switch that to on and try to set my speed and nada. Any help?

elviejo41585

Postby elviejo41585 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:33 am

I have a manual. Pathy I cant get it work also. It has a switch on the left side of steering wheel I switch that to on and try to set my speed and nada. Any help?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”