99 with 3.3 4x4 rpm drops then jumps back up at WOT

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

New99Path

99 with 3.3 4x4 rpm drops then jumps back up at WOT

Postby New99Path » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 pm

I have only had the vehicle for a couple weeks now. Drove round trip of about 280 miles this last weekend and while on the freeway cruising around 60-80 I could feel a small hesitation. I could not tell if it was road, engine, or transmission. The tach was not looking like the rpm was changing at all, and speed and rpm would climb together.

Today I was driving and messing around with the car I noticed when I would floor it the rpm would instantly decrease then jump back up through out my acceleration.

I searched google but everyone seems to have idling issues along with the rpm issue or unknown hesitation. The Pathfinder idles perfect, no engine noise or tranny noise, at a slow steady acceleration there is no hesitation or shudder.

My guess is torque converter is starting to slip, but I have no idea how to diagnose other than changing the fluid.

I did try doing it with O/D off and still had the same issue, might go try again.

Any ideas will be great,

Chris

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”