Service Engine Soon light just came on, safe to drive?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

vinnquinn

Service Engine Soon light just came on, safe to drive?

Postby vinnquinn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am

Hey, first post here on the forums and unfortunately it's not a good one.

My Service Engine Soon light came on last night while I was driving and I'm supposed to go on a roughly 160 mile road trip in a few hours. Is it safe to ignore the light for my trip and figure out the problem when I get back? Or should I figure out what code it is on for? I think autozone can get the code for free for me, or so I've heard. If anyone can confirm that about autozone that'd be awesome. Any input would be greatly appreciated

fastpakr

Postby fastpakr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:08 pm

I believe most chain parts stores can pull them, though as the cost of scanning options have decreased it's really worth it now to own a tool. If the light isn't flashing and there's no reasonable alternative, go ahead and drive it. If you have an alternative I'd certainly use that since you don't know what the code is. Also, if the light starts flashing that's an indication of a significant misfire event that the ECU deems large enough to damage the catalytic converter. The vehicle should NOT be driven farther than absolutely necessary in that event.

brht27

Postby brht27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:47 pm

All depends on what code is read. Autoone, Advanced Auto and Oreilly's all do the reading for free. Not as good as going to your mechanic, (they have more expensive code readers,) but damned good. Getting the code read sooner is better than later. Could be something that could make issues for other things if not fixed soon. Pray its not an O2 sensor, them things are not cheap for pathfinders.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:03 am

Usually the answer to your question is yes, go ahead and drive.

I would be mindful of any changes in the way it drives, and get the code read as soon as practical.

t

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”